AETOS (Settlement) TRIKALA
The elders remember it with the name Dovroi which means "fine place". The distance from the national road of Trikala - Arta until the today's village is small and its altitude reaches the 700 m. Northwards and eastwards is surrounded by tall, steep and rocky mountains.
Westwards there is the long ridge which begins from the Stayros mountain, comes down steeply to the location of Paliokoromylia and continues downhill till the Mill of the Kokkinos torrent. Southerly of the passage the plain land of Loggas is shaped.
Benchmark of the village's communal life is the paving, capacious, central square with the traditional cafe and the historical churches of Panagia and Agia Paraskevi. At the entrance of the village there is the stone school, which however today due to the lack of students remains closed. The few permanent residents are occupied mostly with the cattle-breeding and occasionally with the fishing and hunting. However, during the summertime everything lives up and at the revelry of Agia Paraskevi for two days the village celebrates and the celebrators revive the traditional customs of the region.
This text is cited September 2004 from the Community of Neraida URL below, which contains image
AGIOS DIMITRIOS PELIO (Village) ZAGORA-MOURESI
Tel: +30 24260 31204, 31205
Fax: +30 24260 31205
Agios Dimitrios is a scenic village that extends along a fully green slope to the sea. Its name comes from an old monastery that gave its place to the majestic metropolitan temple. Several chapels with remarkable wall fresco' and temples are scattered all over the green landscape of the village: Agios Ioannis Theologos, Agios Georgios, Virgin Mary (Panagia), and Sotiros chapel on the homonymous square. The village evolves into a holiday resort with remarkable tourist infrastructure that grows continuously. Following the well-preserved cobbled paths, one reaches the beach resort of Agios Ioannis.
AGIOS IOANNIS PILION (Port) ZAGORA-MOURESI
Five minutes away, descending the green slope, one reaches the village of Agios Ioannis. This fisherman's village that attracted visitors even from the beginning of the century, has quickly become one of the most dynamic resorts of Mount Pelion Its green-clad landscape, its blue waters and its long beach with a magnificent sable, are ideal for beautiful and carefree vacations. Small rowboats as well as Yachts can be accommodated inside its small but functional port. There are also Flying Dolphins connecting Agios Ioannis and Salonica, Halkidiki and the Sporades.
This text is cited Sep 2002 from an old URL of the Municipality of Mouressi
AGIOS PROKOPIOS (Village) TRIKALA
Agios Prokopios is a small community of cattle-breeders (100 inhabitants in the winter and 250 during summertime) in an altitude of 620 m. in the wooded slopes of Koziakas, among the crowns Drampala (1.298 m.), Dimitraki (1.300 m.) and Diamandi (1.680 m.) under the famous homonymous monastery and above the dam of the river Dramizioti, with the watermill of the 1880 next to it. From the top of Drampala, we face the lake of Plastiras, the Thessalian plain and the castle of Fanari.
In the sources Tzjom, Mana, Fteri, Kanalako, Megakampo and Pergina of Padi plateau, are often seen roe deers, wolves, foxes, ferrets and some time bears.
From the big monastery of Agios Prokopios of the 18th century, which was extended in an area of 48 acres above the village, the only thing that remained afterwards its demolition in 1960, is ruins. In 1986 the temple of Ag. Prokopios went up from pedestals. Along with Agjos Prokopios, the name of a Saint is connected, Kosmas the Aitolos and that of a thief, Gioulas. The village celebrates the memory of Agios Prokopios on July 8, with dixies and folk revelry that follow the service.
AGIOS VISSARION (Village) TRIKALA
In the historical community of Agiou Vissariona (230 m. el.) we arrive either by following the street that leads to that from Filyra, through a most beautiful meadow, or from the side of Pyli's that is hardly two kilometres far. The village owes his old name "Dousiko" in an endemic of the place species of oak with the (slavic) name Dousko or Douskari.
The first resident of the village appears registered in the community's male records since 1832, when it was under Douskar's courthouse. Dousiko, built near the Portaikos river, has very healthy climate, which its 1.100 residents enjoy (in the winter - they are increased to 1280 in the summertime), farmers and cattle-breeders, but also "petrades" (builders of the stone) - and along with them the seasonal visitors. In a small distance from the village is found the forest "Lakka of Stefani's" and the breeding area of preys of Koziaka.
The nearest crowns of Koziaka are Krania (1.100 m.) and Fourketsa (500 m.). A watermill, Nizeros, is saved 2 km from the village as well as the fountains Psilles Vrises, Giannaki Vrisi and Gabriel Vrisi. The latter is connected with the village with an old path, in all the length of which one meets stone manufactures. Beautiful area for relaxation, where the residents go at the 1st of May, is the meadow Dara.
The village was connected with the famous abbey of the Savior of the Big Pylon, which is found in a distance of 5 km from there, going up in altitude of 750 m. in the Koziaka's slopes. The monastery was re-established between 1527 - 1535 by Agjos Vissarionas, Larissa's archbishop, when the Saint was exarch of Stagon.
In the place of the church that Agjos Vissarionas built with the help of his brother Ignatios, it was built on pedestals in 1557 the today's catholic of the abbey from Larissa's Metropolite Neofyto the 2nd and the bishops of Dimitriados Joseph, Litza Louka and Torch Torture (as the ktitoric sign witnesses). The catholic, which is honoured in the name of Metamorphosis of the Savior, follows the mount athos type of cruciate four - pillar, with two (today) domes and slots in its northern and southern side. Its hagiography was done by a painter from Constantinople, Georgy. The woodcut temple is ulterior, in 1813. The once rich monastery with the 365 cells and the rich library, which became an intellectual centre of the newer Hellenism, functions today with few monks that look after its heirlooms. Among them are also the saint's scull, the will with his autographic signature, the stick and the vestments of Agios Vissarionas.
The grave of the Saint is saved in the Community cemetery, while in the village the local show the place of his house and the monastery dependency of the abbey. In 1823 the monastery was destroyed and the 2000 volumes of its library were burned by the Albanians of P. Kortzia. In 1943 the monastery suffered new destructions from a fire. Agjos Vissarionas celebrates in the feast of Saint Spirit and in the memory of the Saint from whom it took its current name, on 14 September. In Agiou Vissariona's Eve the residents of the village go up in the monastery for adoration and spend all night there for the celebration of the Saint.
ALI MERIA (Village) VOLOS
Tel: +30 24280 46414
Alli Meria is the first municipal compartment the visitor meets entering the Municipality of Portaria. It is a village built in the traditional form, attracting many new residents who dream of finding a peaceful home in beautiful surroundings. The vegetation is lush and the village is built on the bank of the historical waterfall Anavros, with a beautiful view on the Pagassitikos bay and the urban complex of Volos.
ALMYROS (Town) MAGNESSIA
We can trace the history of contemporary Almyros back to ancient Alos, home of Achilles, near the site Kefalosi; it was moved to its present location after suffering repeated raids by pirates.
In the Archaeological Museum the visitor can admire stone carvings, reliefs, inscriptions, as well as artifacts from the Mycenean, Geometric, Classical and Hellenistic periods, up until the age of the Roman Empire. A short distance form Almyros are the remains of ancient Alos and the Kouri forest, covering an area of 1,100 hectares with artificial lakes, various kinds of animals and a miniature train, which takes visitors on a tour in the forest.
Setting out form Almyros one can visit the Monastery of the Dormition, Upper Xenias, 600 metres up in the Othris mountains, and admire the superb frescoes and carved wooden screen dating from the 16th century, before enjoying a walk on the Othris mountains and through the are of Zirelia, natural habitat of many aquatic species. The Forestry Department office at Almyros supplies maps of planned walking routs and the Climbers Club of Almyros will provide any information you need about climbing and mountain walks. A short distance from the town are the beaches of Almyros, Euxeinoupolis and Platanos, where you can swim and enjoy the appetizers in one of the beautiful little tavernas. Two of the year's high spots in the region are the Euxeinoupolis carnival and the fish evening on Almyros beach, organized every June.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the GNTO - Region of Thessaly - Prefecture of Magnesia - Magnesia Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
ALONISSOS (Port) NORTH SPORADES
Arriving on Alonissos with the ferry or the hydrofoil, one disembarks in Patitiri. Patitiri was chosen to be the main Port because is a natural harbour.
It took its name from the old wine pressures (Patitiria) that used to exists, from when Alonissos was a red wine produser island.
Patitiri became the main town of the island accomodating the facilities of life, today. Someone can find lots of places to stay and taste our delicious sea food snacks.
Further to the North we meet the next two fishing villages, Rousoum - Yialo and Votsi, located at two charming bays, one after the other. Continuing to the North, one finds many wonderfull beaches to swim such as: Milia, Chrisi Milia, Tzortzi - Yialo, Lefto - Yialo e.t.c.
The visitor can reach the beaches either by land or by sea, using cars or small taxi - boats which do these tours.
Leaving Patitiri and taking the main road, leading West, after 3 km. you come to the old village of Alonissos. For those who love walking, there is the old donkey path, which takes you from the port to the old Alonissos within 30min.
This text is cited Mar 2003 from the Municipality of Alonissos URL below, which contains image.
AMALIAPOLI (Port) ALMYROS
Tel: +30 24220 91246
Surrounded by dense pine and olive groves, 58 kilometers from Volos, the fishing village of Amaliapolis is beautifully laid out in a natural amphitheatre.
It has two natural harbors, one of them sheltered by the little island of Kikynthos, home to the picturesque little church of Agios Nikolaos, built by the people of Trikeri in 1805. The village has an unbroken history dating back to medieval times.
The visitor will enjoy his holiday in immaculate hotels or rented accommodation, he will taste the village's traditional fish appetizers and visit the new monastery of Panayia Xenia. He can also sail by caique to enjoy the delights of the sea at Pagasitikos, the Northern Sporades and Evoia. Just 8 kilometers from Amaliapolis lies Sourpi and the beach of Nies, the ancient port of the Myrmidons, from where Achilles set out to the Trojan War. A picturesque beach for swimming and fishing.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the GNTO - Region of Thessaly - Prefecture of Magnesia - Magnesia Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
ANILIO (Village) ZAGORA-MOURESI
Tel: +30 24260 31328
Fax: +30 24260 31328
Anilio village is the entry point of Mouresi municipality for the visitor that follows the mountain road via Chania peak. Hidden behind a slope, the village probably got its name "because in winter the sun almost never catches it". (An-Ilio: where "Ilios" is "sun" in Greek)
Being a visitor in Anilio you should visit the small, scenic square where the church of Agios Athanassios is located, a great ecclesiastic monument with one of the best Baroque wood-engraved temples in Pelion area. Anilio is also a place where a number of other well-known monasteries thrived during past times (Holly Mary admittance, Agios Haralambos, The holly cross, Holly trinity).
According to local tradition, at the lower part of the village there used to be the ancient city Achilleio, founded by Homer?s hero "Achilles" himself. Centaur "Cheiron", the master of Achilles and Hercules, used to rest inside the big cave located at the coast of "Banikas"!
Another beautiful beach with crystal clear waters and rich flora touching the edge of the sand, is Plaka beach. Besides the tourist services, great credit is given to the local women?s agricultural cooperative, which promotes the land through traditional homemade fruit-sweets and drinks.
ARMATOLIKO (Village) TRIKALA
Just after Mesohora we find ourselves at the boundaries of the extended community of Neraida. We scramble on the slopes of the SW mountain range of Pindos form a rather good road and in an altitude of 850 m, the first village is distinguished, Armatoliko. Its old naming was Mpoukouro or Mpokori which in Turk means "beautiful place", in Rumanian "Shepherd's village" and in Slavic "vociferous place" from the din of Acheloos.
The old village, built on the location Ampelia, was destroyed probably during the 12th century from the Crusaders. Other reasons of destruction were the raids of the Slavs or the earthquakes. During the Ottoman domination individuals or groups that were on the run by the Turks, left Thessaly - Epirus - Aitoloakarnania and found shelter in the today's village.
Today Armatoliko, near the National road of Trikala - Arta, is a live village that is inhabited both in winter and summer and where Primary School works the whole year time. The village has respective prospects of development as through the whole length will be washed by the waters of the lake, which will be formed by the dam of the area. Among the sights of the village, besides the unique view, is the small church of Agios Athanasios.
There are five more churches: Panagia, Agios Konstantinos, Agioi Pantes, Agios Fanourios and the big church of Agios Georgios in the square of the village. This square is spacious and with great view, cafes, playground. Near the square there is the watermill which was transferred there afterwards the construction of the pre-dam and the level rising of Acheloos.
Every year at the village, are celebrated traditionally the standard revelries on the 15th of August, the day of the Easter and a small event on the name day of Agios Athanasios.
KATOCHORI (Village) VOLOS
Tel: +30 24280 99101
Katihori lies in the southeast part of the Municipality of Portaria. Is is picturesque village with rich vegetation, which has preserved its traditional aspect.
As in the other compartments, here also the population cultivates olive and apple trees, vegetables and vineyards of excellent quality, a fact which has allowed the local population over the years to develop the production of wine and tsipouro. Nowadays there are not many vineyards left, and the wine production is limited to a small number of cultivators, who however still follow the traditional methods, which guarantee the excellent quality of the product. A number of farmers continue production, but the largest percentage of the product is consumed locally. In recent years olive cultivation has spread widely. The farming area of the village is one of the largest in Pelion, with thousands of olive-trees, which produce thousands of tons of oil, part of which is given to the Unions and commerce for edible use, while the largest part of the production goes to the oil- press, where large quantities of excellent quality oil is produced. Some producers make small quantities of «unburnt» oil, which is considered by the older generation as a medicine for various health problems (stomach, liver, etc.).
An Agricultural Assocation has been functioning for many years, which mainly aims at supporting the farmers work. The Association provides pesticides, is responsible for spraying the crops, and paying the producers from various business transactions with the Pelion Union.
KISSOS (Village) ZAGORA-MOURESI
The highest located village of East Pelion, uniquely scenic, buried amongst the wild and domestic flora of a breathtaking landscape, stands hidden away from the sight of the unaware. Agia Marina Basilica church, a remarkable monument that stands beside the homonymous square of equivalent beauty, marks the villages? past time financial growth. It is known to be of the best and most representative ecclesiastic monuments of Pelion Mount. The famous church that was recently restored is decorated since the second half of 18th century with the best wood-engraved gold-plated temple found around Pelion Mountain?s churches. It also contains numerous Byzantine icons of great artistic value. The church of Agia Marina, hosts in one of its side rooms the local ecclesiastic museum, to which one can see old ecclesiastic scriptures and icons.
Other ecclesiastic monuments of interest include the Agios Efstathios chapel found higher on the hills of Kissos and Agios Constantinos? old temple in Mavroutsa area. Being a visitor in Kissos you will be satisfied not only by the area sights and monuments, but also by the first class tourist services of the local market.
KORYFI (Village) TRIKALA
Koryfi is the last village of the Prefecture of Trikala to Arta. It is surrounded by the steep, rocky mountains Kaprovouni and Katafyli and is built amphitheatrically. The lowest edge of the village is defined by Acheloos. The old denomination of the village was Kaproi and was first inhabited after the sortie of Mesologgy from the armed and thieves that were on the run. So, the first inhabitants of the village were the "Mpotsareoi", who were forced to change their name because they were wanted.
Koryfi was the seat of the thief Thymios Tsekouras who acted there from 1895 until 1920. The village was destroyed from the earthquake and was reconstructed with new buildings, roads, squares and shops. The traditional color of the village is preserved by the "Dristella" which is found in the bed of Acheloos and the historical watermill as well as by many stone fountains in different places of the village.
Koryfi is inhabited in the winter as well and has taken new life as the residents are occupied not only with cattle-breeding, but other works as well. The big church of the village is Agios Georgios, but Koryfi celebrates when a small country church celebrates which is devoted to the Assumption.
KOTRONI (Village) TRIKALA
In an altitude of 750m on the slopes of Kozjakas, 14km from Pyli, there is the village of Kotroni with roughly 520 residents population. The settlement Loggjes comes under it, in an altitude of 300m with a population of 140 residents. The main occupation of the residents is the livestock-farming. In the region there are the sources of Koziakas Krania, Kagelja and Mana, as well as the tops Ai Ljas with 1600m altitude, Leykes and Paliomantri with 1500m altitude, from where the whole Thessalian plain is visible. In the biotopes Omprava and Paliomantri, the fauna is rich in roe deers, wolves, woodcocks, partridges etc. Buildings of the previous century (1860, 1830) constitute special samples of the architecture of the region. The village celebrates at the feast of Agia Paraskevi (25-26-27/7) with a three-day revelry with local foods and in September 7 and 8 (The Birth of Virgin Mary) with revelry in the square of the village and local flavours.
The settlement Loggjes celebrates on 20-21 May (Agios konstantinos and Helen) Impressive is the traditional ceremony, the "paschaliogiorta", the 2nd or 3rd day of Easter, in the church of Prophet Helias, at which phonetic group of old men and women of the village, sing traditional songs that are danced with special dances. In the region Krania and Bey a shelter is built, which the visitor can reach with the paths through firs.
LAFINA (Settlement) TRIKALA
Lafina is built in altitude of 790 metres on the verdurous side of Pindos that begins from the mountain Kanalos and ends in the heart of Aspropotamos. It is surrounded by Tzoumerka, for which numerous songs have been written and the white Kostilata. The older name of village was Siliseno, that is to say slippery place.
Today Lafina discerns for the stone - made houses that were worked from famous craftsmen and which, even if they went through the maelstrom of wars and earthquakes (1967), have maintained their traditional colour to a large extent.
In the central square of the village next to the church and the traditional cafes, dominates a perennial oak. In its shade the residents are gathered on daily basis and on feasts. They discuss, celebrate, but also dance in the big revelry of the village on August 6, when the historical county church of Metamorphosis of the Saviour celebrates.
Unfortunately, in the winter the village depopulates and the recently renovated Primary school does not function. Its residents however, wherever they are, have sweet memories from their place and long for the summer months they passed in its dew.
This text is cited September 2004 from the Community of Neraida URL below, which contains images
The Monastery of the Annunciation or the Evangelistria, as it is widely known, is one of the most remarkable monuments of Northern Sporades.< br>
The Monastery was built on the Agallianou site, where there were ruins of an old monastery. The complex was built from 1794 to 1806 and became the stronghold of "Kollyvades". A group of monks from Agion Oros, led by Niphon, due to a feud that emerged after the mid-18th century to the beginning of the 19th, left from there and went to several islands ( Patmos, Samos, Leipso etc.). After a short wandering they went to Skiathos, where they proceeded with the monastery’s building.
Monastery’s architecture is based on the one of the Agion Oros monasteries. The Cathedral is a condensed form of the Athonite type with the lateral spaces, the frugal and the splint and roofed by three domes, covered by gray slates. The rich rood screen projects into the simple space of the church. Only the Holy Step has frescoes from the time of the Greek Revolution, by painters from Galatista. In this space kept in ambries bones of many Saints. Outside the Catholic, within the monastery complex are the monks’ cells, the bank, the hospital, the hostel, the vesta (kitchen), the magkipeio, the taliagkra (olive press), the library, the chapels, the storerooms, the stable, etc. In addition, the monastery has a valuable library with many rare publications and documents, an eccestiastic museum, where are many priestly utensils and relics and a olive press/exhibition.
Daily itineraries from the town of Skiathos to the monastery service the visitors.
MONI KORONIS (Monastery) KARDITSA
Tel: +30 24410 95214, 22250
Fax: +30 24410 22251
The Holy Monastery of Korona was built in a rather high place, 1.150m, between the communities Moschato and Mesenicola. It consists of the church and cells.
The church, honoured to the "Birth of Virgin", is in the type of cross-in-square, enlarged into a trinconch by apses added to the cross arms (the type of Mount Athos), with narthex and parekklision in the West Side, honoured to Saint John Prodromos. The frescoes date to 1587and follow the Cretan style. The monastery was of great importance for the Agrapha area during the period of Turkish occupation.
Part of frescoes have been conserved as well as the building itself (part of if).
MOURESSI (Village) ZAGORA-MOURESI
Mouresi, a widely spread structured village built into a sea of green, is a wonderful and especially prosperous village with a remarkable view to not only the Aegean Sea but also to the nearby villages (Agios Dimitrios - Agios Ioannis, Kissos). It has a lot to demonstrate to the visitor, including a wonderful square with magnificent view that is shaded by three giant trees, being also a place where one can find the metropolitan temple of Agia Triada (Holly Trinity).
The visitor should also not neglect to visit Damouhari area, a place remarkably scenic and of a wild beauty. Damouhari beach is separated into two halves being divided by a peninsula that reaches the sea: the "old Damouhari", a nice pebbled beach and "new Damouhari" a small natural bay -unique in Pelion- historically known as a port of trade during past times. The ruins of an old castle of the middle ages , which stands on the peninsula's hill, and the remarkable old chapel of Agios Nikolaos, are the area's only monuments. One of the "must go to" beaches that one should not miss is the one called "Papa Nero" regarded by some as one of the most wonderful beaches in whole Greece! Mouresi village in all it's length is a place where one can find cosy, hospitable accommodation at hotels, delicious local food and spirits at the tavernas, and wonderful flowers within the pots of each village home.
NEA AGCHIALOS (Small town) VOLOS
One of the major towns of the region. Anchialos means the city by the sea. Its well known for its beautiful black sand beach, picturesque port, pine-clad hill (the citadel of the ancient Pyrasos) and archaeological remains.
There are sites of archaeological interest all around the town: the remains of both secular buildings and early Christian churches with extremely fine mosaics.
Near Nea Anchialos is situated one of the two airports of the region. The tourist infrastructure (hotels, rented accommodation, transport, small conference facilities) guarantees the visitor a pleasant, relaxing holiday. Picturesque seaside sites like Kritharia, Marathos, Agios Georgios Kinigon, Megali Valanidia and Dimitriada are ideal for short excursions to complement the cultural activities taking place all year round and culminating in the wine festival at the end of July or beginning of August, where free wine is offered by the Dimitra Agricultural Collective, one of the biggest wine producers in Greece.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the GNTO - Region of Thessaly - Prefecture of Magnesia - Magnesia Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.
NERAIDA (Village) TRIKALA
Neraida (1.050 m. altitude) is the most border village of the Prefecture of Trikala westwards, scrambled on a side of the Eastern Tzoumerka above the Grevenitis river with unique view to Aspros (Acheloos). Its tallest crown, Kriakouras (2.100 m. alt.), separates Thessaly from Epirus.
In the old days it was called Grevenoseli. With this name it is reported in a gold bull of the emperor Andronicus Palaiologos the 3rd in 1336, which was found in the temple of the Assumption in Kalampaka and reports that the Bishopric of Stagon had as limit of its jurisdiction westwards, Grevenoseli.
Part of the residents is natives. Most descendants of Sygizis from Goustri Xiromerou, who pogrommed by the Turks, came and lived in this place in the location Kalyvia. The village was transferred in the place that is today before 1850 and its name was taken by the homonym mountain.
Neraida is a village with tourist interest. Places with historical and archaeological importance that someone can visit are: the Monastery of Agia Kyriaki, the stone church of Agios Georgios in the square with the traditional flooring and the ecclesiastical museum in the loft, work of the folkloric architect from Pramanta, Georgios Dafnis, the ruins of the old church of "Theotokos", which no one knows when it has been built. (The elders of the village, who were asked, said that it was a church very old, of immemorial years, monument already from the Ottoman domination, as the embrasures testify).
Interest also present the platan of Glava, in the shadow of which sat and spoke to the Grevenoselites, the big teacher of the Gender Kosmas the Aitolos, Ai Lias that the Germans considered as the base of operations of the fighters against regime and bombard it without however causing damage, the source of Glavas with its abundant waters that supplies the village with water and irrigates the fields, the old - more than two hundred years of life - mill of the church that still works and the bridge of Grevenitis that was built in the beginning of the century. Top cultural event of the residents constitutes the two-day revelry of Agia Paraskevi (26-27 July). For years the Neraidiotes in their majority, try in every way to be in the village for those days, in order to be present at the revelry. Because this revelry that withstanded the passing of the time and the devastating society we live in, has something particular to give them: the genuine way of expression of the sentiments and the experiences of our ancestors, who in difficult years accomplished to turn their thorns into dance, song and creation.
Impressive are the natural beauties of the village. From the top of Kriakouras one can see in the background Ioannina, the lake and Arta. There is a cavern over there that keeps snow in winter and summertime from which, according to the tradition, the Neraidiotes were passing on the sly to Epirus at the period of the Ottoman domination. The plateau Lakkes offers unexpected joy to the wayfarer that heads among the imposing, rocky mountains. It is worthwhile pointing out that in Neraida two magazines are published: The "Grevenoseli" by Kostas Christakis, a clearly cultural magazine for the history, the folklore and the culture of Tzoumerka and the "Glavas", body of Cultural Association of Neraidiotes from where were also drawn most of the elements of this presentation.
The residents of Neraida are neither Vlahoi, nor Sarakatsanaioi; They are locals and speak Greek with tzoumerkan idioms and accent. Neraida was recognized as Community of Grevenoseli in 1912, emanating from the former Municipality of Kothonia. Initially it was consisted of the settlements Grevenoseli (seat), Koryfi or Kaproi, Sklyveno and Abbey of Agia Kyriaki. The settlement of Kaproi was then extracted. In March of 1928 it was renamed into Community of Chlorou and on September of the same year from Chlorou into Community of Neraida.
The village was burned by the Germans in 31/10/1943, fortunately without victims because from the previous day the anabasis of the conquerors became known and the residents left. Five people that did not leave in time fell from the bullets of the enemies. Afterwards a horrible bad weather in 1963 when the village was in danger from landslips and the disastrous earthquake in 1967, a great number of residents abandoned the village and many settled in Volos, Trikala and Arta. The last 15 - 20 years a current of return in the village is observed, particularly during the summer months and so Neraida takes life. Neraida is where many famous stone craftsmen come from. Also, from there many Neraidiotes started who shine in the political, military and social life of the country.
Today Neraida, as Municipal Apartment belongs to the Extended Community of Neraida and constitutes its seat.
PACHTOURI (Village) TRIKALA
Pachtouri, one of the most beautiful and developed villages of the mountainous Trikala. It is built in an altitude of approximately 950 m and is surrounded by tall, imposing mountains, Tsigori, Tsiardaki, Soufli, Tsiouma, Katafyli, Zygo. The south side of the village, which is impeded between the mountain range of Zygos and the torrent Palaiohoritis, has a beautiful and consecutive fir forest, which is one of the best fir forests in the whole Prefecture of Trikala.
That is why, the village's name P a h t o u r i, for many comes from the Turkish word "mpahtour" which means "stand and take a look" (the beautiful environment), while for others it comes from the Arabian Turkish word "Mpahtiar" which means fortunate - happy. At the most central place of the village, there is the church of Agios Nikolaos with the tall and impetus steeple and with view to the fir forest.
Next to the church, stretches the spacious central square with the big platens, the wooden benches and the traditional cafe.
The residents' love for progress endowed Pahtouri with rich library and sports fields. Furthermore, the traditional and well maintained communal hostel can offer a cozy accommodation for the traveller. Studded in the most beautiful places of the area are five historical country churches which the residents cherish and visit often.
The great revelry of the village though, is on August 15 and those who come from Pahtouri from all over Greece gather there in order to participate in that.
PALEOKARYA (Village) TRIKALA
Mountainous village of the valley of Portaikos (730 m.), that is 10 km far from Pyli, 3 km from Ropoto and 35 km from Trikala. It is consisted of the settlements Ano, Kato, Mesi Palaiokarya and Tsimpideika.
The total population does not exceed the 250, while in the summertime is doubled.
The residents are occupied with the livestock-farming (4.000 sheep). The arcaded bridge of Palaiokarya's, the dam of Portaikos in Kato Palajokarya, the forest of Katounas, katafyto with firs and oaks and the tops Gropa and Karavas, embellish the landscape of the region with particular beauty.
In the forest of Katounas, bears appear with the heavy snowball of winter, while in the location Aeri of the Mesi Palaiokarya there is a cavern with underground waters. Project for the growth of seasonal settlement, is being worked out in the region of Bey that abstains 3 km of earth-road from the village.
Palaiokarya, according to the tradition, was created by the thief Koutsodaumona, henchman of Stournaras who seceded and took up the region. He was the winner in the battle with Stournaras for the control of the "man-at arms" of Aspropotamos and maintained the sovereignty of the village.
Spawn of Palaiokarya's is the poet Kalapanidas. His poem "Our Village" is found in the spelling book of the 2nd class of the Public school.
In the village there is a private collection with exhibits from the 18th century. Interest develop the churches of Ag. Nikolaos (dates to 17th century.) and Agia Paraskevi (1810 - 1830). In the festival of Agios Nikolaos, are offered quantities of a dixie, tripe in the evening of the eve, follows the Service, revelry and dance afterwards the redundancy.
PETROCHORI (Village) TRIKALA
Six km eastern of Stournaraiika, in an altitude of 650 m., between the fir forests of Mpouziaras and Mpalarou and underneath the crowns of Psillou (1.500 m.) and the Prophet Helia (1.010 m.) we meet Petrohori, a small community of farmer-breeders (350 people in winter and 480 in the summertime).
The forest of Mpalarou, from where the lake of Plastira and Trikala are visible, the waters of the source and the torrent with the same name flow, but also waterfall Klironomia or Pouria. Near the village the tributary of Portaikos Petrohoritis, flows and are the sources Platanaki and Moutsiaropoula. The name of the location Lolou - Mandri preserves the name of Giorgos Lolos, Stournari's henchman. Another name round of which histories were woven, is that of the expert thief Themistoklis Tzimas or Gkoulias.
In the village, the professions of kyratzi and wood - carver are practised. Distilleries also function and the mill of "Vlasioti" and the old stone house Hani - Bekou is maintained.
Half hour on foot from the village there are the ruins of ancient fortification constituted from two parts, the Above and Down Castle that communicate between them with underground tunnel. Petrohori celebrates two times in a year with popular revelry and dixies that follow the religious events: on September 8 in the church of Panagia Phaneromeni's and on July 20 in the country church of Prophet Helia (4 km outside the village). In the way to the Prophet Helia one can see old thresher places.
PORTARIA (Village) VOLOS
Queen of Pelion, the beautiful village of Portaria, is one of most popular tourist resorts in Greece. It is 12 klm distance from Volos and 13 klm from the ski center, combining sea and mountains. It is situated at a height of 650 mtrs. with an exceptional view of the Pagassitikos bay.
Portaria is one of the most significant tourist resorts in Greece. Visitors admire its natural beauties, like the «Centaurs' path» and the cascade of Karavos, walk along the cobbled streets that are surrounded by yards with flowers in full bloom, enjoy the view over the gulf of Pagassitikos and visit the Byzantine churches and the old monasteries.
The numerous restored mansions remind you of the past of Portaria. The Athanassakio Kindergarten (one of the first to be established in Greece), the Zoulia Mansion (which operated as a Vocational School for girls), the Tsopotio School (nowadays, the Town hall), are only several of its important monuments.
Portaria has a rich traditional culture and the Municipality promotes the cultural element organizing events, congresses, meetings and festivals in collaboration with the cultural association «ORMINIO». Suggestively we mention the following annual activities:
•World Day of Dance.
•International Folklore Dance Festival for Children.
•International Folklore Festival.
•Revival of the Pelioritic Wedding.
•Exhibitions - Concerts - Meetings.
There are many hotels available of every class, traditional hostels, rented rooms, and also restaurants, taverns and other similar establishments, serving the needs of visitors. The women of Portaria have established the Agro-tourist Association, which provides homemade fruit conserves, marmelades, liquors, pastries and culinary specialities.
PYLI (Small town) TRIKALA
In the root of Pindos, in the entry of a magnificent gorge, which separates the mountains Itamos and Koziakas, but also links Thessaly with Ipeiros, 18 km western from Trikala, is found the hamlet of Pyli, county seat of the homonym municipality. Pyli is also separated from her settlement of Porta - Panagia by the Portaiko's river. Pyli has 1991 residents (inventory of 1991). It presents particular interest for the visitor, because it is found in the centre of important Byzantine and post Byzantine monuments, but also because it constitutes passage for the graphic villages of Aspropotamos and Arta.
This text is cited Oct 2003 from the WebPage of Municipality of Pyli
ROPOTO (Village) TRIKALA
Eleven km southern from Pyli, in an altitude of 750 metres, Ropoto is stretched out that is consisted of seven settlements: central, Tsekouras, Panagia, Polythea (Mousia), Agios Ioannis, Agjos Dimitrios and Loggjes. Its residents mainly, who work on arboriculture but also are farmer-breeders, reach the number of 850 in the winter and 1300 during summertime.
Right and left the central settlement unfold 3.500 acres of chest nut wood, where wild boars, wolves, foxes and jackals live, as well as partridges and woodcocks while all the region round the village is literally drowned in fir (15.000 acres.). The really picturesque scene of the village, supplement the 15 sources that refresh it - among them those of Goura, Mourtzies, Jtia, Sgourolivado and Koromilia - and the tributaries of Portaikos river, Ropotianos and Palikarias. Going up in the famous top of Karavas (1618 m.) one can enjoy an amazing view of the Thessalian plain. Beginning from there the path leads, through a most beautiful way on foot, up to Panagia the Spilia of Argithea Karditsa.
In the village are saved and function watermill, dristella (that belongs in the church of Agios Ioannis) and four traditionally distilleries with cauldrons. There is also a craftsman that manufactures ftseles, spindles and other wooden vessels and tools.
From Easter up to September in Ropoto traditional feasts live up. In the third day of Easter in the church of Saint Trinity of the Central settlement, phonetic group consisted of small children, sings songs that are being danced by all the members of the community with the priests and the chairman being the leaders. In 7th and 8th of May, the church of Agios Ioannis celebrates with splendour and folk revelry following the events of worship.
Every two years, in the second fortnight of July, the meeting of the old is being done in the Central settlement: the ancient of the old invites the rest, mentioning those who are absent, and all together nominate the chairman of the meeting, who regulates the order with which the elders recite extemporary poems that they have made for the circumstance. The meeting ends with songs that the elders themselves sing and dance.
On July 20 the memory of Prophet Helia is being celebrated in the county church of the Saint. In the eve tripe is being served and on the day of the celebration, food from cauldron and the revelry in the Central settlement lasts two days. In the last Sunday of July is being done, in the location of "Mandri" with the stone shelter (where also the shear in the first week of June) in an altitude of 1300 metres, the meeting of all the residents Ropoto with resurgence of old traditional games, dance, roasting of lambs and offering of boiled milk with salt and bread (trjpsana) from the cattle-breeders. On the 15th of August a two-day festival is being done and on September 20 the residents of the village who follow the old calendar, celebrate the memory of Agios Eustathios in the settlement of Panagia. Familiar in the neighbors is the history of the murder of the Turk tax collector Katsimpas in the dues of 18th century, in the location - that since then brings his name - in the district of Agios Konstantinos.
STAGIATES (Village) VOLOS
Tel: +30 24280 42937
Stagiates is the fourth municipal compartment of the Municipality of Portaria. Is is a small village to the northwest of Portaria, with a rich natural enviroment, where visitors can enjoy the view of Volos and the luscious green of the area. The village of Stagiates owes its fame to for two reasons: the superb waters and the delicious sausages. Nowadays the Municipality of Portaria, in an effort to preserve some of the old traditions, organizes a yearly revival of the sausage tradition, with the Sausage Festival, which takes place in July in the central square of the village.
TRIKERI (Small town) SOUTH PELION
Densely built at the top of the ancient Aeantion penisula, on the right of Pagassitikos mouth, Trikeri, the historic fishing village, stands in sleepless vigilance. In its harbor, Agia Kiriaki, the visitor can see a fleet of every kind of fishing boats and gets welcomed by the weatherbeaten, kindhearted Trikeri villagers
The history of the village begins in the mid 1700's. The village shipowners were the first to take part in the 1821 revolution against the Turks. An outstanding example of historic greatness and of old grandeur are the churches with the magnificent woodcarving decorations, the castle like houses of the seafaring captains, the quaint local marriage the Easter customs and the luxurious golden threaded Trikeri women's costume. Starting on Easter Day and for a whole week, a joyful festival takes place in authentic island tradition. In the stone-paved Central Square, every evening everyone participates in the "Kalamatianos" dance, the folk songs perfomend by a popular orchestra. On Friday and Sunday following Easter, we come to the highlights of the festivities. Supple bodied village girls, wearing their gold-threaded costumes with the splendidid "Klidotaria" (gold or silver bejeweled round clasps worn over embroidered bodices) are dancing gracefully while the young men secretely make their choice of future wife. It's a dance of ingredible grace and grandeur.
The people of Trikeri are traditionally sponge divers. All during the year they set off to harvest the precious spongers off the deep of the seas. Every june they orgazine a fishing festival in Agia Kiriaki harbor and at that night all year's longings, hardships and yearings are poured out in song and dance.
To the village also belong the settlement of Kotes, Trikeri's eastern resort and the "Old Trikeri" island with its picturesque, sandy, lace like beaches. The great monastery of "Panagia" stands on the inland and on the 9th and 10th of September there's the celebration for the discovery of the miracle performing icon after which the monastery is named. To Trikeri belong the little islands Alatas, Prassouda, Mikra too. In the ouzo selling waterfront shops of Agia Kiriaki and the island, as well as those in Trikeri village, the visitor can taste local specialities, as octopus grilled on coals and other delicious sea-food delicacies. Spotless guest house in the village, Agia Kiriaki and on Trikeri inland, offer visitors hospitality.
You can get to Trikeri by car, public transportation buses as well as by boat using the Volos - Sporades Ferry line that also stops at Trikeri island. The visitor of Trikeri has a lot of fine beautiful memories...
The text is cited December 2002 from the tourist brochure of the Community of Trikeri
TSAGARADA (Village) ZAGORA-MOURESI
Tsagarada, the "sea of green", is the home of Mouresi municipality with significant history. We find it on our way right after Xourihti village as we drive along from Volos town via the coastal road. The village lies on the slopes of the mountain, facing the Aegean Sea and is divided into four sections: Agii Taxiarhes, Agia Paraskevi, Agios Stefanos and Agia Kiriaki. The rich flora that surrounds this place adds numerous sights of natural beauty, which transforms Tsagarada into one of the greatest and most well organized tourist resorts of Pelion with constantly growing fans. Tsagarada is well known to domestic and international tourists for the quality provided within all sections of tourism industry, including hotels and lodgments, selected restaurants, tourist gift shops and art galleries, etc.
Being a visitor to Tsagarada you should pay a visit to the scenic squares scattered all around the four homonymous sections of the village, each one hosting an old ecclesiastic monument. A rare monument of nature is found within Agia Paraskevi Square, were the 1000-year-old plane tree stands dominating the landscape. Following the traditional cobbled streets, you will pass along old traditional houses, residences of noblemen and stone-built fountains. The wonderful beaches of Tsagarada -"Fakistra" and the worldwide known "Milopotamos"- with crystal clear waters and clean, marble-white tiny pebbles, offer the visitor a unique sense of relaxation and joy never to be forgotten as the surrounding landscapes are truly remarkable!
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!