EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 90 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for wider area of: "ARCADIA Prefecture PELOPONNISOS" .


Places of worship (90)

Churches

EPISKOPI (Village) TEGEA

Church of Episkopi in Tegea


GORTYS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Agios Andreas church & Ancient Gortyna


KARYTENA (Village) GORTYS

Church of Agios Nikolaos in Karitena


Church of Zoodochos Pigi


LEONTARI (Village) FALESSIA

Church of the Holy Apostles at Leontarion

Tel: +30 27910 22021

  The church is a combination of two architectural types: it is a three-aisled basilica on the ground floor, and a cross-vaulted church on the upper floor, of the composite, four columned type, with five domes. The central east apse is five-sided while the two lateral ones are semihexagonal. To the west is a two-storeyed, domed narthex, richly decorated with wall paintings of the Palaeologan art of the 14th century. The good quality frescoes are today partly covered by a later plaster.
  The restoration of the monument was carried out in 1972 and the roof tiles were replaced in 1990. Work for the restoration and cleaning of the wall paintings has also been undertaken. Today it is the parish church of the village.
  The area of Leontarion is full of remains of the Byzantine period, which indicate that it was of great importance to the Despotate of Moreas. Other Byzantine monuments to be seen in the area are: the Castle of Leontarion, the church of St. Athanase (14th century), of the Taxiarchs, of Aghioi Pantes (14th century), of St. George, of Prophet Elias, of St. John as well as many abandoned monuments: the Monastery of St. Nicholas, the churches of St. Basil, of St. Kyriaki and of the Transfiguration of Christ.


Agii Apostoli Church at Leontari


MANTINIA (Municipality) ARCADIA

Church of Agia Fotini


MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

St. Fotini Church of Mantinia


Architecture of Temples


Church of Agios Georgios

    Greek

Temple of Agios Vassilios in Tripolis


VASTAS (Village) MEGALOPOLI

Church of Agia Theodora


Country churches

LEVIDI (Small town) MANTINIA

Panagia country church at Levidi


NESTANI (Village) MANTINIA

Monasteries

Monastery of St. George Endyssenas

The small monastery which can be found 7 km from Ayios Andreas cannot easily be seen from a distance since it is situated for safety purposes in a ravine of gigantic plane trees which offer shade and cool water. The monastery cells are ruinous. The church has been repaired with a pitched tiled roof and an apse in the sanctuary. Written evidence exists from 1792 up to 1833, when it is abandoned.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Kynouria Hotels & Tourist Lodgments Association URL below.


Monastery of Agii Taxiarches Moura

Half way from Palaiochori to Ayios Vassileios on a tree covered slope we can make out the ruins of the stronghold of the Monastery of the Archangel. The church, as is characteristic of many others found in Cynuria and other places, is an octagonal, domed, cruciform single-aisled structure. There are wall paintings, presumably damaged by the fire set by Ibrahim (Pasha). Written evidence exists dating from 1744 to 1834, when it is abandoned. Two bishops of the successive Metropolis of 'Reondos Prastou', Iakovos and Dionysios, are involved in the life of the monastery, an example of its role in the Cynurian life of the period.


ASTROS (Small town) ARCADIA

ATSICHOLOS (Village) GORTYS

CHANDAKIA (Settlement) ASTROS

CHORA (Village) TROPEA

Monastery of Panagia Rekitsa.


GLYPPIA (Ancient small town) LEONIDION

The monastery a ruined structure with an upright katholikon, which is a basilica with an apse in the sanctuary, and the adjacent very high tower, is found on the road from Ayios Vassileios towards Platanaki, on the ruins of the ancient castle of the city of Glyppia. It is a place of intense ancient Greek presence, blessed by the toil of holy souls from 1806 to 1831, when it is abandoned.


Monastery of Loukou

Tel: +30 27550 41260

  The monument lies to the NW of Astros, in the area of ancient Thyreatis, which is full of antiquities. It was probably built on the site of an Early Christian church of the 5th century AD. The catholicon is a domed church of the composite four columned, cross-in-square type. It is decorated with fine wall paintings and its floor is paved with coloured marble slabs. The wall masonry imitates a careless "cloisonne", and includes ancient architectural parts and brick ornaments. The iconostasis (chancel barrier) is decorated with portable icons dated to the 17th century.
  The first literary reference to the monastery is in the "Geographica" of Meletios, the Metropolitan Bishop of Athens in 1690. The English traveller J. Leake visited the monastery in 1805.

  Regarding the name "Loukou", several theories have appeared:
•the monastery was dedicated to St. Lucia,
•it was due to the ancient cult of Hera (Juno Lucina),
•it was named Lykou after the wolves (lykoi) living in the area,
•the monastery was dedicated to St. Luke,
• it was related to the "Lucus Feroniae"(woods of prey) in which the Villa of Herodes Atticus was located.
  The roof of the catholicon (main church) has been retiled, the two-storeyed tower has been supported and the cells have been restored. In the 1980's the painted decoration of the church was systematically preserved and in 1994-95 the mosaic floor of the catholicon was restored. Today the monument is a convent for nuns.


KARYES (Village) MEGALOPOLI

KASTANITSA (Village) ASTROS

KOSMAS (Village) KYNOURIA

Monastery of St. George Dromeas

It is one of the small ruined monasteries of S Cynuria, which can be found W of Kosmas towards Palaiochori, in an opening on the fir-covered slopes of Mt. Parnon. The only part standing is the katholikon, a basilica with a pitched roof and an apse in the sanctuary. In a modern inscription, one can read that the monastery was founded in 1592 and abandoned in 1843.


KYNOURIA (Province) ARCADIA

LEONIDIO (Small town) KYNOURIA

Monastery of St. Nicholas Sintza

Tel: +30 27570 22224

Monastery of St. Nicholas Sintza

The monastery of Sintza (fig tree), perched on the red cliffs SW of Leonidio seems unapproachable. Among the huge cliffs, the visitor can see the snow-white cells, the domed cross-in-square katholikon with the carved iconostasis and the icons dating back from 1650. The first written evidence of the history of the monastery dates back from 1628. Today it is a nunnery. The nuns will usually be found at the monastery dependency Ayios Charalambos, a small distance from Leonidio on the road towards the parent monastery.


LEONTARI (Village) FALESSIA

MELIGOU (Village) ASTROS

Monastery of Timios Prodromos at Stemnitsa

Tel: +30 27950 81385, 81447

Monastery of Philosophos

Tel: +30 27950 31237

  The new Monastery of Philosophos, which was built in order to replace the earlier, Byzantine one, lies in the western part of the Lousios gorge and was founded at the middle of the 17th century. The catholicon (main church) is a cross-in-square domed church of the composite, four-column type, with plain facades and poor brickwork decoration. The wall paintings inside the church are dated to 1663 and are the work of Victor, a representative of the Cretan School. The church also has an impressive wooden-carved iconostasis.
  The new catholicon was built by the monks of the new monastery and was painted at the expense of Mavraidis Pasha from Stemnitsa. From the mid-17th to the mid-18th century the new monastery housed the school of the Gortyn clergy which was attended by important people of the Church (e.g. Patriarch Gregory V). Between 1834 and 1836 the monastery was abolished with the decision of the Bavarian regency, its property was confiscated and sold to individuals.
  The building of the cells to the SW of the catholicon has been consolidated and restored and access passages have been constructed by the Archaeological Service. The north wing of the cells building and the catholicon are going to be restored soon. Today, the monastery is used as a convent for monks, and is a department of the Monastery of Timios Prodromos (St. John the Forerunner) at Stemnitsa.
  Many religious buildings have been located in the gorge of Lousios, including churches, monasteries, hermitages as well as secular buildings such as water-mills, gunpowder-mills, tobacco-mills etc. Some of the most important religious buildings are the Old Monastery of Panaghia (Our Lady) Philosophou, built in the 10th century, the Monastery of Timios Prodromos, dated to the end of the 16th century, the Monastery of Aimyales, the old and new monastery of Atsicholos and St. Andrew at Gortyna.


MONI BOURA (Monastery) FALESSIA

MONI ELONAS (Monastery) KYNOURIA

Monastery of the Virgin Elona

Tel: +30 27570 22297

Monastery of Panagia Eortakoustis

Tel: +30 27550 31269

MONI KANDILAS (Monastery) LEVIDI

Monastery of the Virgin at Kandila

Tel: +30 27960 31233, 31288

The monastery of Ayios Nikolaos of 'Karya' is found after the nunnery of 'Artokosta', on the left of the road to Prastos and near the medieval castle of 'Orionta'. Its form reminds us of a typical monastery of Mount Athos, unique to the whole of monastic Cynuria. It is surrounded by cells and other auxiliary structures covered with slate from Mt Malevos. The covered balconies bow towards the katholikon which belongs to the tri-apsidal or Mount Athos architectural type. Inside it is full of wall paintings by Yeoryios Moschou (1638), a magnificent carved iconostasis and relics, which are found in the sanctuary. In the centre, the well-preserved double-headed eagle is visible (1734). The monastery is open throughout most of the year.


Monastery of the Virgin Malevi

Tel: +30 27920 31243

Monastery of Kernitsa

Tel: +30 27950 22337

MONI VARSON (Monastery) KORYTHIO

Hidden in the gullies after the nunnery of Our Lady 'Orthokosta' lies the old monastery of Ayios Dhimitrios 'Reontinou'. The church is single naved, of the domed cross-in-square type and is covered with slate. Its wall paintings (1698) and the beautifully carved iconostasis bear witness to its past glory. The monastery flourished during the 18th century and was abandoned in 1834, as is the case with most of the small Cynurian monasteries. The monastery, which is a true hermitage in nature, is presently a dependency of the nunnery of 'Artokosta'.


PIKERNI (Village) MANTINIA

Monastery of Ambelakion

Tel: +30 27910 61261

TYROS (Village) APOLLON

Monastery of St. George at Tyros

Ένα παλιό νοικοκυρεμένο μετόχι της Ι.Μ. Καρυάς στον Τυρό για εξυπηρέτηση των μοναχών και καλλιέργεια των κτημάτων της. Κάτασπρο, διώροφο κτίσμα με μια μακρόστενη βασιλική πρόσφατα επιδιορθωμένη. Γαλήνιος τόπος λίγο πιο πάνω και δυτικά του μέσα Τυρού με εύκολη πρόσβαση. Δυτικά, ζωσμένο σχεδόν από απροσπέλαστα βράχια ξανοίγουν μπροστά, ανατολικά ο αργολικός οι βουνοκορφές της Αργολίδας, οι Σπέτσες. Οι μοναχοί για λίγο καιρό βρίσκονται εδώ τον περισσότερο είναι στο μοναστήρι επάνω.


Monastery of Kleivokas Gortynias

Tel: +30 27970 63297

VLACHERNA (Village) LEVIDI

VYZIKI (Village) TROPEA

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.