Municipal department seems to be the extension of the Ancient city by the same
name. Built northeast of the Archaeological site the city acts like a bridge between
history and contemporary life style.
This town was formed as it stands today during WW II mainly through
population movements. Refugees from EASTERN THRACE and EASTERN ROMYLIA arrived
here and were worked in with the existing population, thus forming a multi-cultural
population that developed in order to achieve co-habitation and development. At
a later point in time certain Sarakatsani families also moved in the area thus
adding new elements to the composition of the population.
As time went on, the old inhabitants accepted the habits and culture
introduced by the newcomers, while newcomers adjusted to the new life style offered
to them in the area. A significant part to that effect was played by cultural
clubs such as the ANCIENT PELLA and EASTERN ROMYLIA clubs, which by way of various
events and activities manage to preserve the traditional customs and cultural
elements of the lost homelands, as well as those of the Pella area, with its long
lived and much celebrated history.
The Pella VINEDRESSER CLUB continues to maintain tradition in an effort
to reach the old fame of the renowned "Pella wine" in antiquity. The "PELLA THEATRICAL
WORKSHOP" is dynamically present with significant shows of foreign and Greek writers.
The PELLA BLOOD DONOR CLUB constitutes a gesture of humanity and love
to all those in need of our help.
The St. Apostles church has been renovated after a destructive fire
in 1950. Every year the city of Pella honors the memory of the Saints with exceptional
cultural events and activities.
In the square holding its name, ANCIENT KRINI represents a landmark
of the past long gone.
Pella functions as a Municipality since 1984 and according to the
recent stipulations of the Kapodistrias Law as of 1998, it has been extended to
include the communities of N. PELLA, ATHIRA, RACHONA- LIVADITSA, AGROSIKIA and