Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Archaeological sites for wider area of: "PELLA Town GIANNITSA" .
PELLA (Ancient city) GIANNITSA
At the beginning of the 4th century BC the capital of the Macedonian kingdom was transferred to Pella, on the shores of Lake Loudias, which communicated with the Thermaic Gulf. Easy access across the open plain contributed to the city's development. Intellectual and artistic personalities from southern Greece flocked to the Macedonian court in a period of administrative and military reforms.
Under Philip II and Alexander III Pella became a metropolis with an impressive complex of palaces and luxurious private houses. The city was gradually cut off from the sea due to the silting of the rivers Axios, Haliakmon and Loudias, and was extended and reorganized by Cassander. Laid out according to the Hippodameian system, Pella had strong brick walls, a sophisticated water supply and sewer system, broad paved streets leading to the port, and a central 'agora' with workshops producing and shops selling pottery, figurines, metal objects and foodstuffs. At the city's sanctuaries Athena Alkidemos, Poseidon, Herakles, Aphrodite, Demeter and other deities were worshipped.
Although the city was pillaged by the Romans, it did not cease to exist until the 1st century BC, when it was destroyed, probably by an earthquake. In 30 AD the Roman colony of Pella ('Colonia Pellensis') was founded west of the city, at the site of present-day Nea Pella.
Type: Fortified city
Summary: Capital city of Macedonia and birthplace of Philip II and Alexander the Great.
Pella is located on low hills at the edge of swampy ground which was formerly a lagoon navigable to the Thermaic Gulf. Within the ca. 3.5 square km city, which was laid out on the Hippodamian grid system, are the royal palace, civic and religious buildings, and the luxurious houses of Macedonian officials. The main finds thus far are a number of large Macedonian houses with peristyle courts and rich mosaics.
Pella was founded ca. 400 B.C. as the new capital of Macedonia by King Archelaus. The city was the birthplace of Philip II and Alexander the Great and it grew in size and prestige at a pace with the Hellenistic Empire. The city reached its peak in political and artistic influence at ca. 274-239 B.C. With the defeat of the last king of Macedonia in 168 B.C. Pella lost importance and was overshadowed by the growing city of Thessalonica on the coast.
Trial excavations by G. Oikonomos in 1912. Major excavations by P. Petsas and C. Makaronas in 1957-1964, continued in 1970.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 64 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!