AGROSYKIA (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 93349
Legend has it that the name of the village of Agrossikia originated from the wild fig trees that smothered the area.
The village's inhabitants are by and large of Pontos origin since the older inhabitants had pretty much moved from surrounding areas. The refugees arrived periodically since 1934 from the areas of Pontos, Sevastia, the town of Charsera in Argiroupolis and Farassa of Kessaria. The reason they decided to built their new home here is the similarity of the landscape with that of the land the left behind. They carried nothing but their memories and the icons of their Saints, some of which are still kept in the church of St. Ioannis Chrisostomos in the center of the village. The three cultural clubs connected with the inhabitant's origin of St. George Chalinaras, the Cultural Club and the Farassotes Club have undertaken the higher duty to preserve the rich cultural tradition of their ancestors.
Agrossikia is built in a picturesque landscape of unique natural beauty and is an excellent recreation area.
On the evergreen hill of Profitis Ilias, where a celebration is held every year with opulent events, the visitor can enjoy the uniquely beautiful landscape. The Dam lake pops up first in front of the highlands of Paikos mountain. The hill with the ruins of the ancient castle of Pelitis is witness to human presence in the area from ancient times.
ATHYRA (Small town) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23910 91217, 91111
Athira's initial name was Bozits, which means the land of god. Later on, with the arrival of refugees from the area of Metra in Eastern Thrace, the site was renamed Athira. According to the legend the village took this name because the villagers were very hospitable and their doors (thires) were always open.
The Athira area population composition includes the older inhabitants as well as Eastern Thrace refugees and Pontos and Sarakatsani families.
The various cultural elements, traditions and customs are preserved indelibly through the passage of time with activities organized by the Athira Cultural Club.
The little church of St.Paraskevi that is linked with the arrival of the refugees holds commemorative evening prayers followed by icon walks. The day after this ceremony, on the day of St. Panteleimona the residents celebrate with sumptuous events.
The pompous Church of the Savior's Ascension that holds splendid celebrations each year is a true jewel to the village's central square.
The celebration of Shrove Monday is a rubric in Athira and involves the inhabitants of the entire Municipality as well as surrounding areas, who stream into the village to taste the lenten delicacies offered freely.
The presence of Axios River overlooks the area with wild vegetation and endless poplar tufts. This is a landmark of wealth and prosperity since it contributes so much to liberal fruitfulness offered by mother Earth.
DYTIKO (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 93282
Archaeologists have revealed that the area of Ditiko has probably been inhabited since prehistoric times.
The first contemporary settlement was named Konikovo, meaning an area with a lot of horses. In 1922 this area was settled by Pontos refugees, who named the settlement Stiva, due to the many hayricks there. Later on, and as of 1955, the community was named Ditiko.
The majority of Ditiko residents are of Pontos origin and are stubborn in promoting their culture. The club "Ipsilante" operates within the framework of this notion and organizes the Ipsilantia Events every year. These events include traditional Pontos song and dance on the day of St. Constantine's celebration.
The Ditiko area, as indicated by historical sources, presents with significant activity in the Macedonian struggle era. This is the alias Nikoforos II, was heroically killed in a Turkish ambush.
The church of St. Constantine and St. Helen stands tall and reveals its internal interesting frescos and holy icons brought here by the ancestors of Abdouramaliin Pontos.
The Ditiko inhabitants are also very proud of the WRESTLING CLUB established in1987, which has displayed a very successful and upward course with significant distinctions. The 40 wrestlers enjoy high morale and confidence and look forward to the 2004 Olympic Games.
The landscape surrounding Ditiko is of exceptional beauty with rich sycamore tree vegetation that follows the route of a ravine, an area of recreation andenjoyment. Thechurch of St. Sofronios stands at the village's entrance giving visitors a warmand affectionate welcome.
NEA PELA (Small town) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23820 31202
The town of N. Pella is inhabited by refugees who fled from Tsiflikidi in Eastern Thrace. Following a period of roaming around in surrounding areas in 1924, they settled near the ANCIENT BATHS, an area with lavish waters and vegetation, in order to start anew their life in a new settlement, which they named N.Pella.
Being farmers and stockmen, they survived by cultivating the land reverentially, and today they have quite a lot to show. In their baggage, they didn't just carry their memories but also a new cultural character, which they have managed to preserve and promote with the revival of customs and traditions, as they knew them in their far away homeland. The work performed by the CULTURAL CLUB is remarkable, aiming at accentuating and preserving cultural elements with the operation of various departments including a CHOIR, TRADITIONAL DANCE SCHOOL and THEATRE.
The great church of METAMORPHOSI TOU SOTIROS, built in Byzantine style in 1942,constitutes a real jewel that stands in the town's main street. The small tabernacle of St. Paraskevi was built in 1967 to keep the august icon, which was the only heirloom brought here by the inhabitants from their homeland. Every year the town of N. Pella celebrates the memory of St. Paraskevi with various interesting events.
PELLA (Town) GIANNITSA
The PELLA Municipal department seems to be the extension of the Ancient city by the same name. Built northeast of the Archaeological site the city acts like a bridge between history and contemporary life style.
This town was formed as it stands today during WW II mainly through population movements. Refugees from EASTERN THRACE and EASTERN ROMYLIA arrived here and were worked in with the existing population, thus forming a multi-cultural population that developed in order to achieve co-habitation and development. At a later point in time certain Sarakatsani families also moved in the area thus adding new elements to the composition of the population.
As time went on, the old inhabitants accepted the habits and culture introduced by the newcomers, while newcomers adjusted to the new life style offered to them in the area. A significant part to that effect was played by cultural clubs such as the ANCIENT PELLA and EASTERN ROMYLIA clubs, which by way of various events and activities manage to preserve the traditional customs and cultural elements of the lost homelands, as well as those of the Pella area, with its long lived and much celebrated history.
The Pella VINEDRESSER CLUB continues to maintain tradition in an effort to reach the old fame of the renowned "Pella wine" in antiquity. The "PELLA THEATRICAL WORKSHOP" is dynamically present with significant shows of foreign and Greek writers.
The PELLA BLOOD DONOR CLUB constitutes a gesture of humanity and love to all those in need of our help.
The St. Apostles church has been renovated after a destructive fire in 1950. Every year the city of Pella honors the memory of the Saints with exceptional cultural events and activities.
In the square holding its name, ANCIENT KRINI represents a landmark of the past long gone.
Pella functions as a Municipality since 1984 and according to the recent stipulations of the Kapodistrias Law as of 1998, it has been extended to include the communities of N. PELLA, ATHIRA, RACHONA- LIVADITSA, AGROSIKIA and DITIKO.
RACHONA (Village) GIANNITSA
Tel: +30 23910 53390
Rachona and the small settlement of Livaditsa constitute a unified settlement. All of the areas inhabitants are natives and refugees from Asia Minor and Pontos. Rachonas' initial name was Ramel. Archaeologists have discovered evidence that proves the presence of man in this area from classic times.
The church of St. George, patron saint of Rachona, is dated back to 1803 and the saint's memory is celebrated every year.
Another characteristic of the Livaditsa settlement area is landscape turns with the harmonious pop up of small churches - landmarks in the region. The Holy Trinity church is a standing meeting place of refugees from Eastern Romylia, and people from all different places in Macedonia flock here every year on the day of the Holy Spirit to pay homage to and honor their ancestors. The old St. Athanassios church, built in 1805 that was once linked with the joyful events in people's lives stands quietly today.
The new St. Alexios church is the most easily approachable church accommodating the inhabitants in their prayers.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!