Sights MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE (Region) GREECE - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 91 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE Region GREECE" .


Sights (91)

Ancient statues

Relief of Mithras Tauroctonos

THERMES (Village) XANTHI
The relief is carved on a large rock near Thermes village and dates to the end of the 2nd or the beginning of the 3rd century A.D. In the centre of the frame, which symbolizes a cave, Mithras is depicted sacrificing the bull. To his left and right stand the god's retinue, Cautes and Cautopates. Mithras was the god of the sun and had Iranian origins.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains images.


Beautiful locations

The park of Agia Varvara

DRAMA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE

Korylovos hill

Replica of Sarakatsani settlement

LEPTOKARYA (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI
There on a slope that is 650 above the sea level and 32 km from Alexandroupolis a cultural club of Sarakatsianian tradition has created a replica of a traditional settlement. Sarakatsani is a nomadic tribe that used to live in the south parts of Bulgaria, the name means the one who is leaving to the mountains and it is coming from the Turkish words Sara, which means slope or hill and the word katsan, hich means the one who is leaving. This settlement is giving to the visitor the opportunity to find out things about the lifestyle of this people. At the settlements’ foothill is the village that is called Leptokarea, nowadays the village is inhabited by a few Pomake Families. (Pomake is another tribe that life’s in this area for many centuries).

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.


Narrows of Nestos river

LIVERA (Settlement) XANTHI

Recreation Area

LOUTRO (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Recreation area

NIPSA (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Bridges

Arched-bridge on the Patermos river

PATERMA (Village) RODOPI

Buildings

Zarifios Academy

ALEXANDROUPOLI (Town) EVROS
One of the most important and oldest neo-classical buildings in Alexandroupolis, as well as an important monument is the Zarifeios Pedagogique Academy, which was named after its founder, George Zarifis, a wealthy businessman from Constantinople.
In its 60 years of education, thousands of students have graduated from the Academy under the guidance of top instructors, including the well-known professor Evangelos Papanoutsos. The graduates have entered various fields. Some have stayed in Alexandroupolis while others have established themselves in other parts of Greece.
The tasteful instruction room with its glass roof and crystal floor remind one of the birth-place of its founder, Constantinople. A statue of George Zarifis with a marble bust, created by the sculptor Nikos Perantinos can be found in the courtyard of the Academy.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Ferintoun Achmet Beg hot baths

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Uroutz Pasha hot baths

"Carolos jail"

The School

DRAMA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE

Imaret

KAVALA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
This is a muslim edifice of the 19th century, which was consructed by Mehmet Ali, the founder of the Egyptian dynasty.

The old Tobacco Storehouse

The Town-Hall

It was built in 1895. It used to be the residence of the Hungarian tobacco trader Pierre Herzog.

Megali Leschi

It was built in 1909. Nowadays it houses the municipal library.

Moni Lazariston

Built at the end of the 19th cent., it housed the French Consulate.

Kamares

This is an aqueduct of the 16th century erected by Suleiman the Magnificent.

Palataki (Little Palace)

LIMENARIA (Small town) THASSOS
  The impressive "Palataki," dominates the rocky cape where it stands just at the end of Limenaria harbor. It is a two-storied building, rectangular, with two little towers on its narrow facets. As a vivid example of eclectic architecture, it is characterized by a strict geometry and influenced from central European adherents.
  It was built between 1903 and 1904 to house the administration of Speidel, the German company which by then was exploiting the Thassos mines. In 1963 though, it stopped being used since the industrial installations were deserted. Works to support the building so that it can be reused as a cultural center started in 1993.

'Chana'

LOUTRA TRAIANOUPOLIS (Settlement) ALEXANDROUPOLI
(Following URL information in Greek only)

The city hall

ORESTIADA (Town) EVROS
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

Castle of Anaktoroupolis

ANAKTOROUPOLIS (Castle) KAVALA
  The castle of Anaktoroupolis is one of the most important archaeological sites in the Prefecture of Kavala. It commands the headland of Vrasidas, in the vicinity of Nea Peramos, next to the hill of the ancient city.
  The castle is located at the bay of Eleutherai, to the west of Kavala, which was an important harbour in the North Aegean during the Byzantine period. Anaktoroupolis first appeared in the 9th century as an episcopal see and actually succeeded ancient Oisyme. The fortification of the city, which is dated to the 12th century, according to an inscription on clay built in the walls, is preserved in good condition. The city ceased to exist in the 14-15th centuries with the expansion of the Ottomans.
  In the period 1974-1983, trial trenches were opened inside the castle and in 1989 a small single-aisled Byzantine church was excavated near the SE tower. Also uncovered were a later narthex, successive shaft graves to the east and south of the church, and a four-sided cistern
  Consolidation work is carried out from time to time at the "mantle" of the walls, while the castle is systematically cleared every year.

Dafnonas caslte

DAFNONAS (Village) XANTHI

The Castle of Didymoteicho

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Vassilopoula tower

FONIAS BEACH (Beach) SAMOTHRAKI

Komnina castle

KOMNINA (Village) XANTHI

The Castle of Orfanio

ORFANIO (Village) KAVALA
This is a byzantine castle.

Paleochori Castle

PALEOCHORI (Small town) KAVALA

Paschalia castle

PASCHALIA (Village) XANTHI

Castle of Pythion

PITHIO (Small town) DIDYMOTICHO
  Defensive wall of the 14th century A.D. It lies on a low foothill of eastern Rhodopi, in front of the Evros valley. It is a magnificent example of military architecture from the final years of Byzantium. It consists of an internal and an external part and the two central towers are preserved virtually intact. The large square four-storeyed tower that was used as a residence, preserves the cornice of the fourth, broader floor, which is not preserved or was never constructed. The smaller, also four-storeyed tower had military-defensive function. A large arched gate between them led from the outer to the inner enceinte, of which are preserved parts.
  The castle was built in the beginning of the 14th century and was used as the refuge and personal "cashier" of the Byzantine emperor John VI Kantakouzenos. Such towers are considered to be the influence of the West to the Byzantine military architecture.
  The gate has been supported with pairs of beams and its arch has been consolidated. Restoration has been carried out at the end of the west wall, and at the upper NW corner of the second floor which had been broken (four angles with wooden cases were used on the outer side and wires were fastened on the opposite wall).

The castles of Potamos

POTAMOS (Castle) ALEXANDROUPOLI
North from Alexandrpoupolis on the road that is leading to Avandas, rises imposingly a Byzantine fortress, build on a small hill across from the Potamos train station you can still see quadric towers and in some positions even double walls. The fortress is controlling a narrow path, a Rodopis mountain range ravine, in the ravine are the rails that are leading to the lowlands of Komotene. The path was out of the Egnatias road main diode and was of high military importance. The hill of the fortress is presenting inhabitation in the prehistoric ages.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Caves

ANGITIS (Tributary) DRAMA

Cagiali cave

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Vouva Cave

KOUFOVOUNO (Small town) DIDYMOTICHO

MARONIA (Village) KOMOTINI

Myrtofyto cave

MYRTOFYTO (Village) KAVALA
There are stalagmites and stalactites.

Agii Theodori cave

POTAMOS (Castle) ALEXANDROUPOLI
Walking on the dirt road that is passing the castles of Potamos and after having covered a 5-km marching next to the rails, we finally have reached the famous cave of the Ag. Theodori, that is located on the top of a large cavity. The inside of the cave is shaped like a fane with the addition of a temple and the surfaces of the cave are wall painted.The paintings are dated in two different periods. The first period is the 11th century and the second period is the 13th century. The art of paintings is reflecting the tradition of Constantinople.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains image.


Forests

Fraktos forest

LIVADITIS (Village) XANTHI

Birch tree forest

POTAMI (Village) DRAMA

Kyklas forest

VATHITOPOS (Village) DRAMA

Fossilized forests

Fossilized forest of Fylacto

FYLAKTO (Village) SOUFLI
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Fountains

Great Fountain

FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Gorges & Ravines

Agii Theodori Ravine

KIRKI (Village) ALEXANDROUPOLI

Historical monuments

Houses

Tzimou mansion

DRAMA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE

Mehmet Ali's residence (18th century)

KAVALA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
Mehmet Ali was the founder of the Egyptian dynasty.

Wix Megaron (mansion)

Built in 1899, it used to be the residence of the German baron Adolf Wix. Nowadays, it belongs to the Municipality of Kavala.

Tokou Megaron (mansion)

Nowadays it houses the Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities. It was built in 1879 by the tobacco trader d. Tokou.

Lakes

Lighthouses

Alexandroupolis Lighthouse

ALEXANDROUPOLI (Town) EVROS
The lighthouse, which is considered to be the most characteristic symbol of Alexandroupolis, was built by the French company ‘Faron and Faron’ for the Ottoman Empire. It was constructed almost simultaneously with the introduction of the railway system into the city and the creation of the small harbour.
The Lighthouse began functioning on June 1, 1880. It has a height of 27 meters above the sea and includes a rotating light beam.
Visibility under normal weather conditions reaches 23 miles. It is entirely manufactured by boulders and in the interior there are stone covered stairs.
Until 1973, the Lighthouse functioned with a combination of air and petrol. The older system was replaced by a newer one including gas and electricity.

This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.


KAVALA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
There is a lighthouse with marvellous view.

Local government WebPages

The sights of Alexanroupolis

ALEXANDROUPOLI (Town) EVROS

The Sights of Orestiada

ORESTIADA (Town) EVROS
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Samothraki

SAMOTHRAKI (Island) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE

Monuments

Uroutz Pasha mausoleum

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

The image of refugee

ORESTIADA (Town) EVROS
(Following URL information in Greek only)

Official pages

Religious monuments

Early-Christian basilicas

ALYKI (Settlement) THASSOS

The Great Temenos

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS
  Large, unfinished rectangular building, built of well-cut blocks, with a monumental entrance on the west side. Instead of built vaults it has a pyramidal roof of lead leaves on a wooden frame, which stands on four built pillars.
  The temenos was founded near the road linking Traianoupolis and Adrianople, in the years of Mohammed I (1413-1421).
  The lead leaves of the roof have been replaced, and the structure has been reinforced with a metal tower inside. The wall paintings have been cleared. Today the monument is used as a storeroom for the archaeological finds from the area of Didymoteichon.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


The great mosque

Post byzantine church of St. Catherine

Imaret

KOMOTINI (Town) RODOPI
The monument consists of three parts, a central rectangular space and two rectangular ones, on either side. They are all roofed with hemispherical vaults supported on semicircular pointed arches inside and on octagonal drums outside.
The cloisonne masonry and the construction, mostly of the central part, are reminiscent of Byzantine architecture. The monument is dated to the end of the 14th century, while the annexes were added in 1935.
In the frame of the building's restoration, the following works took place: the annexes of 1935 were demolished, the wall masonry was consolidated, the roof tiles were restored, the two-sloped roof of the southern central part was reconstructed, the three layers of plaster on the interior walls were investigated, the openings were restored, and new floors and frames were placed.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Early-Christian Basilica

MARONIA (Port) KOMOTINI

Monastery of St. George

PALEOCHORI (Small town) KAVALA

Remnants of a byzantine church

PATERMA (Village) RODOPI

Ruins of Early-christianic Basilica

PROSSOTSANI (Small town) DRAMA

Rivers

Kossynthos river

XANTHI (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
The river traverses the Xanthi town and flows into Vistonida lake.

Towers

Byzantine castle

ELEOCHORI (Small town) KAVALA

Tower of Apollonia

KAVALA (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
  It is built on a hill on the Via Egnatia, between the ancient cities of Chrysoupolis (Eiona) and Anaktoroupolis (Oisyme). It is probably dated to the years of the Palaiologoi.
  The tower has two vaulted floors and flat roof. It is surrounded by a small rectangular fortification wall and other buildings. It has two arched gates, higher than ground level, large arched windows and small openings on all sides. The floors communicated with each other by means of a stone stairway.
  Extensive consolidation work has been carried out at the monument and the hill around the tower has been protected with a fence.

This text is cited August 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Tower of Apollonia

LOUTRA ELEFTHERON (Settlement) KAVALA

Tower of Maronia, ruins

PETROTA BEACH (Beach) RODOPI

Byzantine Tower

PYRGOS (Settlement) KAVALA

The Towers of Samothrace

SAMOTHRAKI (Island) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE

Traditional settlements

Abdera Traditional Settlement

AVDIRA (Small town) XANTHI

Traditional Architecture

DRAMA (Prefecture) GREECE

Various

The biggest flag in the world

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Open Air Theatre

FERES (Small town) ALEXANDROUPOLI

The bazaar of Wednesday

KATO NEVROKOPI (Small town) DRAMA

Clocktower in the central square of Xanthi town

XANTHI (Town) MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE
It dates from 1859.

Walls

The walls

DIDYMOTICHO (Town) EVROS

Waterfalls

Leivaditis Fall

LIVADITIS (Village) XANTHI

Wetlands

The Folia Dam

FOLIA (Village) KAVALA

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions