Listed 37 sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for wider area of: "ATTIKI
Places of worship (37)
The small church of St. Nikolaos
On the road to Lemos of Vouliagmeni, and at the right after passing the Marina,
there is a narrow path that leads down to the rocky beach. After 200 m one can
see a small, flat place paved with tiles and with some benches around it. There,
and in a small natural cave one can see the small church dedicated to St. Nikolaos,
built with pebbles from the beach.
The church was built and until recently looked after by an old sailor from Vouliagmeni,
who tried in this way to express the deep relation that exists between the Greek
seamen and their protector St. Nikolaos, the "Saint of the sea". Today,
the maintenance and the preservation of the small church has been undertaken by
the Municipal Authority.
This text is cited June 2005 from the Municipality of Vouliagmeni URL below
Tel: +30 210 8140445
It is a monastery for nuns situated in Hagios Stephanos in Attica.
There are 6 nuns in the monastery spiritually guided by the abbess Eirini Prontou.
The catholicon celebrates in the 11th of January, in the Feast of St. Theodosius
Tel: +30 210 5818601, 5575183
Tel: +30 210 8131369
It is a monastery for nuns placed in Ekali of Attica. It was founded
in 1960 by the Archimandrite Kosmas Karambelas. Since 1963 it maintains an orphanage
and a boarding - house for girls called «St. Trinity» carried by the nuns. It
this foundation young girls aged from 13 years old and over are hosted and taken
care till their marriage. The monastery, having 7 nuns lead by the abbess Philothei
Papazoglou, celebrates in the 19th of February, in the Feast of St. Philothei
Tel: +30 210 7652746
The ancient stavropegic Monastery of Saint John the Baptist at Kareas,
is located at the end of a rocky valley, at a distance of approximately five hundred
meters away from the populated area of Kareas. Kareas is built on the expanse
of the neighboring mountainside of Hymettus,
where the ancient quarries, known as quarries of "Kara", used to be. At various
times the origins of the name "Kareas" have been attributed to different explanations,
having to do with the location, the honoured person of Saint John the Baptist,
or with the founder of the Monastery. None of these attributions has been verified,
and therefore accepted, without reservations. The conditions and the date of the
establishment of the Monastery - which is definitely founded by the Church of
Athens - are not known, since written documents regarding these matters have not
been found. The Monastery is most likely originated in the Byzantine times. It
is also believed, for good reasons, that a pagan temple of Apollo preexisted at
the place of the Monastery. Later in time - most likely around the fourth century
A.D. - the temple was transformed into an ancient Christian Chapel which was later
rebuilt into a Church, in order to meet the needs of the monastic brotherhood.
The earliest written reference to the Monastery is dated in 1575 A.D. This reference
has to do most likely with the renovation of the Church, which is reserved to
this day and constitutes the main Church of the Monastery.
From the ancient building of the Monastery, the only parts that are
still in existence are: the Church of Saint John, the largest part of the southeastern
two-storey building with the Monastery cells, and a small one-storey building
in the northwestern area. Architecturally, the Church is simple. It is built in
"Cruciform with dome", standing on four columns (Helladic type). Three
of the columns are made of marble and have ancient capitals with suffixes. One
of the four original columns had been subsequently replaced by a square-built
pillar. The only remains of the Church frescos is a relic on the niche of the
"Prothesis", which attests to the contemporary pilgrims the existence of
ancient frescos in the Church. There is a walled-up small part of a "Thorakion"
at the front of the Church which is decorated with a sculpted cross and a running
animal. A similar part of a "Thorakion", with sculptured spiral decoration
and thorn-like flowers, is walled-up at the front of the preserved Monastery cells
located in the southeastern side. On the floor of the Church there was found,
during its latest renovations, part of a tombstone with an inscription. The tombstone
was thought to have covered the tomb of "Diaconissa" named Nikagori, but when
it was removed they found that this was not the case. Since then, it is believed
that the slate was simply used to cover the floor of the Church during one of
its renovations, and that it was either collected by people of the surrounding
Monastic area, or relocated from a similar construction. Over the entrance door
of the Church there is, up to this day, a walled-up, sculptured votive Cross,
which is dated from the year 1769 A.D., and carries the following inscription:
"This Holy Cross was found in the "tekes" (dervise's den) where it has been for
a long time, and the doctor by grace from Sehades, after buying it, has offered
it to this Monastery in 1769."
During the seventeeth century in the Monastery of Kareas a doctor
and philosopher named Peter Papastamatis (Petrakis) from Dimitsana led a monastic
life. After taking his vows he was named Parthenios (1686 A.D.). Parthenios had
renovated (around 1673 A.D.) the Monastery of Bodiless Powers, which was until
then dependent on the Monastery of Saint John Kareas. Since then the Monastery
was renamed as Petraki's Monastery, after Parthenios (Petrakis), who contributed
to the work of renovating the Monastery.
Since 1796 A.D. (or perhaps since 1777 A.D. according to a "Sigil"
of Patriarch Sophronios) the Monastery of Kareas was deserted and fell into decline.
The monks of the Monastery, according to another "Sigil" of Patriarch
Gerasimos III, which is dated in the year 1796 A.D.
The dependent Monastery of the Holy Archangels was closer to the city
of Athens, had more spacious sites, and offered more security to the monks. Therefore
the order was reversed and, from that point on, the Monastery of Kareas, according
to the same Sigil of the Patriarch, became subsidiary to the dominant Monastery
of the Holy Archangels, "Petraki’s".
From that point on, the Monastery of Kareas - as dependent on the
dominant Monastery of "Petraki's" - become "Vakoufi" (Monastery property).
Then, following a petition of the "Petraki's" Monastery - because it
failed to pay the heavy taxation - became subject to Sultana Mihrisah (mother
of Soultan Selim III, 1770-1807 A.D.). Thus the Monastery was attached to a poorhouse
in Constantinople, under
the condition that it would pay a yearly contribution.
Concurrently with the administrative modifications, as stated in the
same Sigil, the Monastery of Holy Archangels and its Dependent monasteries became
ecclesiastically subsidiaries to the Patriarchate.
From that time on, the Monastery of Saint John Kareas became more
deserted progressively and fell into decline. It continued to be Dependent on
the Petrakis. Monastery, and the future and progress of the two Monasteries coincided
for approximately the next two centuries.
Following its decline into a Dependent Monastery, Kareas was not used
to the advantage of the dominant Monastery of "Petraki’s". It was rather
used solely as a financial resource, offering profits from its quarries, as well
as from its pastures.
During the reconstruction of the Modern Greek state, following the
revolution and the ruling of the nation by the Bavarians, after publication of
the Royal Decree of the 25th of September 1833, "regarding the Monasteries of
the kingdom of Greece", it was commanded by the Prefecture of Attica and Viotia,
to the Abbot Dionysios of Petrakis Monastery, to relocate the soonest possible,
"along with all the brotherhood", to a new location, possibly to the old dominant
Monastery of Kareas, because the area of the Petrakis Monastery was considered
to be appropriate for building a military hospital.
Finally, after putting in several objections and extensive exchanges
of letters and despite the objections of the brotherhood, the Monastery of Kaesariani,
rather than the old Monastery of Kareas, was considered a more appropriate location
to which they moved.
For a short period of time, the Monastery of Petrakis and its Dependent
Monasteries became annexed to the Monastery of Penteli, but they were soon dissociated
from it and returned to their prior status.
Τhe onset of the twentieth century meets the Monastery of Kareas - Dependent
still on the Petraki's Monastery - small, poor, a neglected country Chapel, "a
pitiful sight, with inelegant buildings and extensions that were constructed by
ill-qualified people" (A.D. 17, 1961/62). Despite all that, it continued to draw
and inspire a great number of faithful pilgrims.(...).
With parallel efforts from the Department of Archaeology, "the works
of the quarries were finally terminated before the war. Following the war termination,
the Church building of the Monastery was freed up from the remains of the quarry,
freeing up a narrow area around it that protected it from further damage" (as
The Board of Trustees of Byzantine Antiquities designed a "programme
for the restoration and proper presentation of the Monastery, which, following
the approval of the Department of Archaeology, began to operate in March of 1963."
During the reconstruction works, "masses of stones and marble remains, which were
hanging over the Church were removed... revealing a series of quarters with arch-tops,
along the northwestern side of the grounds. During the clean up of one of those
quarters, a limestone was found, with the year 1712 engraved on it... dating of
course the year of the construction" (as stated above).
The construction works of the Monastery, with expenses of the Archaeology
Department, were continued till the year 1971. It is worth mentioning that during
those works, specifically in 1968, a copper coin of Alexios I, Komninos, was found.
A new era began for the Monastery of Kareas, in May of 1971, when
a newly-formed Sisterhood inhabited the Monastery.(...).
Tel: +30 22940 79240
It is a monastery for nuns placed in Mati of Attica.
It was founded in 1966 by the kind sponsoring of the late Angeliki
M. Lyra and hosted a Foundation called Lyreio. In 1975 it was transferred in the
place where is today and a number of buildings hosting the Lyreion Foundation
for Children are built. In the monastery there are 24 nuns led by the abbess Maria
Kalemi. The Lyreion Foundation for Children functions with the nuns and hosts
a good number of orphans, some of them being students of the Greek Universities
from foreign countries.
Today, the monastery numbers some 24 nuns, the abbess included. It
celebrates in the Feast of the Holy Trinity.
Tel: +30 22980 72300, 72192
Tel: +30 210 4681861
was rebuilt in the 17th century by Lampros Kanelos (Saint Laurentios), on the
spot were he found the Ikon of The Virgin Mary . And he named the Church Faneromeni
meaning (Reveled). During the revolution of 1821 women and children found refuge
in the monastery and it was used to hospitalize injured officers of the Greek
The illustrations of the magnificent Fresco were finished by George
Markos in 1735. When prior was the son of Saint Laurentios , Ioakeim. The Monestary
was transformed to a Convent in 1944. The first Mother Superior was Christonymphi
The convent as it is today. It is located on the eastern part of the
island and it is surrounded by thousands of pine trees and olive trees near a
splendid coast. We celebrate the Convent every year on the 23rd of August and
the festivities most times last more than three days. People come to Faneromeni
to worship The Virgin Mary from all parts of the world .
Tel: +30 22980 22926, 26211
Tel: +30 22950 32501, 30231,
Fax: +30 22950 32282
It is a Convent for nuns. It is situated in the side of a hill full
of pine trees in the area of Markopoulo of Oropos, two km on West of Amphiareion
having a beautiful view to the Euvoikos sea and to the island of Euvoia,
being 4 km. far away from Athens
city - center. It was founded in 1971. The abbess of the monastery is Nymphodora
The brotherhood numbers 18 nuns, who have graduated from higher Institutions
(doctors, philologists, theologians, etc.). They cultivate the Byzantine Painting
and they create beautiful portable icons, as well as handicrafts sold in the exhibition
- room of the monastery. There is also a health center in the monastery, which
provides free medical care for the locals. It also maintains a school teaching
Byzantine music and painting, ancient Greek and French.
The catholicon is a nice and magnificent church of the cross - shaped
type with five domes with a capacity of 300 persons. It is dedicated to the Presentation
of the Virgin Mary and celebrates on 21 November. Many nice gardens exist close
to the buildings, so the monastery has been called "the monastery with the roses".
It has the blessing to hold the holy relics of St. John Chrysostome,
St. Charalambos, St. Tryphon, St. Panteleimon and St. Paraskevi, as well as the
icon the Mary giving birth brought from Asia Minor, who have performed many miracles
to women incapable of giving birth. Without doubts, it is one of the most known
monasteries of the Holy Metropolis of Attica.
Tel: +30 210 8041757, 8042404,
Fax: +30 210 8041755
The Ceonobic Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Pendeli
was founded in 1578 by Bishop Timotheos of Evripou (Evia), the memory of which
honors our Church on 16 August. The Monastery is located roughly 18 kilometers
from the center of Athens and is built in the Southern side of Pendeliko
Mountain at altitude of around 430 meters.
The Holy Monastery from its founding until the end of the Turkish
occupation was under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
During this time, Abbot Ierotheos of Pendeli Monastery travelled to Constantinople where he was able to secure the Stavropegaic
merit of the Monastery from Patriarch Jeremias the B' (1572-1595) with a sigil,
which unfortunately has not been recovered. A renewal of the Patriarchal privilege
was granted by a second sigil from Patriarch Dionysius D' of Constantinople in
the year 1678. In 1858 the Monastery came under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Church
of Athens. The Sultans occasionally offered various firmans that guaranteed the
privileges and the rights of the Monastery, though these firmans were often abolished
resulting in continued pillages. Many were the times that the Holy Monastery bore
witness to pillages such as during the fall of Athens to Morozini (1688-1690)
and another that took place during the battles for independence against the Turks
in 1821, were the pillage was the result of the Holy Monastery's contribution
to the efforts for the independence of the nation.
In 1692 with a Patriarchal sigil the Monastery was amalgamated along
with the Holy Monastery
of Ntaou Pendeli and the Holy
Monastery of Saint Nicholas Kalision. Today, however they are once again independent.
In 1778 the holy Monastery constituted the shelter for the residents
of Athens, which along with their
Metropolitan Gabriel of Athens remained on the grounds of the Monastery
in order to avoid a horrible epidemic of plague which decimated a large part of
population of Athens. These citizens were cared for by the Monastery for roughly
The Holy Monastery was renovated in the year 1768 and in 1858 the
building was extended in order to accommodate approximately 120 monks. During
the time of Abbot Cyrillos B’ the main Church was repaired and decorated. Today
in the Monahologio (a list of Monks serving the Monastery) of the Monastery there
are 58 monks and hieromonks registered, 17 monks reside permanently in the Monastery
and 1 is a postulant. The Monastery also includes monuments of significant traditional
and historical value such as the Museum of the Monastery and the Main Church or Catholicon.
Tel: +30 210 5013639
The monastery is for monks only and it is situated in Kipoupolis of
Attica, surrounded by blocks of flats, which are not visible from the interior.
The monastery was founded in 1925 by the nun Cypriane, who became
its first abbess, and from 1974 the monastery was inhabited by monks, in which
all the priest - monks of the H. Metropolis of Attica belonged.
Since then, the monastery has been functioning as a «Spiritual Theological
Centre», with Youth meetings on Thursdays, all - night vigils on Fridays and several
spiritual preaching on Saturdays.
The monastery is endowed with parts of the Holy Relics of the following
saints: Panteleimon, Tryphon, Nectarios, John Chrysostome, Arsenios from Paros,
Charalambos, Eleftherios, Varvara and Marina, donated by the abbot of today Gabriel.
Tel: +30 210 6212318, 6211045
The monastery of St. Panteleimon is for nuns only and it is situated
in the district of Dionysus. It celebrates in the 27th of July, in the Feast of
St. Panteleimon. The monastery has 4 nuns together with the abbess Philothei Hatzinikolaou.
Tel: +30 210 6210760
It is a monastery for nuns being in Rodopolis (Bala) of Attica and
numbering 7 nuns with the abbess Makrina Panteli.
Tel: +30 210 7664255
The monastery of St. Georgios (near the municipal cemetery of Vironas) is said
to be a glebe of the monastery of Kessariani and was obviously founded later than
that. According to mythology, its name derives from Hercules' deeds. In particular,
one of the deeds was also the killing of the lion that lived on the peaks of mount
Kitheronas. According to
the myth, Hercules killed the lion with a huge club made of strong wood, called
"koutali", which he brought to the area that was named Koutala. The
historian K. Orlandos notes that the original name is Koutalas and derives from
the famous family of the Koutalas'. Despite the fact that information on this
monastery is very little, it seems though, it was a sacred place of worship from