EL
Greek Travel Pages

MONI KIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU FANEROMENIS (SAL), Monastery, SALAMINA

You are here GREECE SALAMINA MONI KIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU FANEROMENIS

MONI KIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU FANEROMENIS Monastery SALAMINA

Overview

  The monastery was rebuilt in the 17th century by Lampros Kanelos (Saint Laurentios), on the spot were he found the Ikon of The Virgin Mary . And he named the Church Faneromeni meaning (Reveled). During the revolution of 1821 women and children found refuge in the monastery and it was used to hospitalize injured officers of the Greek army.
  The illustrations of the magnificent Fresco were finished by George Markos in 1735. When prior was the son of Saint Laurentios , Ioakeim. The Monestary was transformed to a Convent in 1944. The first Mother Superior was Christonymphi Tsigeli.
  The convent as it is today. It is located on the eastern part of the island and it is surrounded by thousands of pine trees and olive trees near a splendid coast. We celebrate the Convent every year on the 23rd of August and the festivities most times last more than three days. People come to Faneromeni to worship The Virgin Mary from all parts of the world .

Find within MONI KIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU FANEROMENIS

pin
0
Related Destinations
View
bed
0
Hotels & Accommodation
View
Boat
Domestic sea schedules

Additional area information for MONI KIMISSEOS THEOTOKOU FANEROMENIS

Choose one from the list below or click here to see them all (2) members only


Total area information: 2 information found around the area

Population Census

Year Population
1991 59

Geographical Data

Type of location: Settlement
Postal Code: 18900
Tel +30 210
Altitude: 20 meters
Longitude: 23o 26' 08.95" E
Latitude: 37o 59' 00.34" N

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.