The Municipality of Loutraki-Perachora, which was established in 1934,
stems from the restructuring of the former Municipality of Perachorans and today,
apart from Loutraki and Perachora,
it also includes the former Communities of Pisia and Isthmia. The town of Loutraki
is its administrative centre.
The town of Loutraki,
known since antiquity for its medicinal water, owes its name to the spa baths
that operated at its springs and was known during ancient times by the name “Thermae”.
Later, it was acknowledged as the metropolitan centre of touristic Greece and
of course, as the first therapeutic centre.
The Municipality covers an area of 196,870 km2 and has a population
of approximately 16,520. During the summer period, the population of Loutraki
exceeds 100,000. The local inhabitants are mainly occupied in the tourism industry
and at the same time in the developing light manufacturing industry, craft industry
and agriculture. The local industries are mostly involved in bottling mineral
water and making confectionery items, two products for which Loutraki is renowned.
The Municipality of Loutraki-Perachora is the most tourist-developed
municipality in the prefecture of Corinthia,
with a very high tourist activity by Greek standards.