Repanidi is also referred to in the documents since 1285. It is also
one of the most wealthy villages, as the plain is quite large and the earth fertile.
Clusters of oak-trees exist in the plain. They must have been the remains of a
forest. The acorns were once a trade good and the inhabitants owned sailing ships
to transport them. The oldest church of the village, Aghios Georgios was built
around 1840. The interior was decorated with a plaster plant-like decoration.
One of the first schools of the island was established in a mill, later in a potter's
shop until 1875, when the school was built. As one enters the village - from the
side of Kotsinas - he will
see the famous jars dug in the volcanic stone. They belong to some families of
the village and are used for storing wine and grains.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos
Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).