The coast at Gomati has one of the most sandy shores on the island.
In this region, during the 14th century, many settlements existed and some farm-houses
belonging to the Monasteries of Athos.
The one named Theomitoros was the most important possession of Megisti
Lavra on the island. Till 1928 a monk lived here. The small uninhabited island
just north of Gomati, called Sirghisti - the Byzantine Sideritis
- also belonged to the Monastery. Papia, which is a coast in the east, is known
as an excellent fishing place.
This text (extract) is cited May 2003 from the Lemnos
Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).