The Capital of the island is "Pothia" with its colourful,
two storey houses and its traditional island character. The town has been built
amphitheatrically, with a population of 11.500 living in its densely constructed
Its harbour, being well sheltered fro all winds, is considered one
of the most important island harbours in Greece
offering organized Marina services.
Various Municipal buildings were constructed by the Italians between
1930-35 in a Venetian style, and adorn the seafront along with a variety of shops
and cafes. There are countless churches displaying many valuable and beautiful
icons by various well-known Kalymnian artists.
In Pothia one can also find the local Archaeological
, which is housed together with bequests made by Nikolaos Vouvalis,
a local benefactor. The recently set up Maritime
as well as the Folk Art Museum containing exhibits from Kalymnian everyday
life and customs are both along the sea front road.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality
of Kalymnos tourist pamphlet.
Type of location: Port, Listed traditional settlement, Town hall, Province capital, Province seat, Island capital, Bay, Archaeological site
Other Names: POTHIA (Known as:)
Postal Code: 85200
Tel +30 22430
Altitude: 40 meters
Longitude: 26o 58' 58.89" E
Latitude: 36o 56' 56.14" N