Sights PELLA (Prefecture) MAKEDONIA CENTRAL - GTP - Greek Travel Pages
gtp logo

Location information

Listed 19 sub titles with search on: Sights  for wider area of: "PELLA Prefecture MAKEDONIA CENTRAL" .


Sights (19)

Bridges

Byzantine bridge

EDESSA (Town) PELLA

Buildings

Edessa Girls’ School

  This tile-covered building -on a level with the ground from one side and two-stories-high on the side of the Plains- has got openings that are symmetrically formatted on the outside. Morphologically influenced by the neoclassical architectural school (pseudo-pilasters, frames of openings, curved eaves, etc.), the edifice is in fact a rectangular undivided structure that is interrupted only by two rows of wooden pillars.
  The year of construction (1877) is inscribed on the founding-plate, above the main entrance slate, that reads: "The Greek Orthodox public of the town of Edessa, helped by art-loving foreigners, raised this edifice of the Muses for the enlightenment of the Edessaen daughters, in the month of April of the year 1877 of our Lord".
  Today, the building belongs to the City of Edessa and, although it officially serves as a Museum of Byzantine Art, is being used as a multi-cultural center.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.


Yeni Mosque

The Clock of the town

Open Theater

GIANNITSA (Town) PELLA

Caves

Speleological Park

LOUTRA ARIDEAS (Settlement) PELLA
  Regions of exceptional natural beauty are found here, as well as a cluster of 15 caves and cave shelters, the existence of which became known at the beginning of the 90s after researches of a group of speleologists and led to the creation of the first Speleological Park of the country.
  The cluster of caves is just 100 meters away form the village of Loutra Loutrakiou and the rock-paintings that have been found in it, in combination with the objects found in the interior and the surrounding area (stone tools, knifes, arrows etc), lead to the assumption that the area was first inhabited at the end of the Neolithic Age and at the beginning of the Copper Age (cave men).
  It is impressive that among the speleological findings, we find fossils of animals that existed many thousands or even millions of years ago.
  Scientists consider the discovery of fossils of the cave bear (Ursus Spelaeus) as important, the presence of which is placed in the Upper Pleistocene period (120,000-10,000 years), whereas the paleontological interest is strengthened by the discovery in the wider area of the invertebrate Hippurites (Vaccinites) Atheniensis (presence in the Upper Cretidic period -75 million years), as well as the corals of the Cycloseris genus that appeared some 70 million years ago.
  During the last years, mild interventions have been realized, which aim at the improvement of access to the site of the speleological park and allow its exploitation for tourist, scientific and educational purposes.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.

Houses

Polycentro

GIANNITSA (Town) PELLA

Monuments

War Monument of Giannitsa

Mausoleum of Gazi Evrenos

Official pages

Sightseeings of the city

Table with links from Municipality of Giannitsa. (Following URL information in Greek only)

Park

Philippio

Religious monuments

Church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity), 6th century

DAFNI (Village) EDESSA

Church of Prodromos, 6th century

LIPARO (Village) GIANNITSA

Towers

The Clock Tower

GIANNITSA (Town) PELLA

Traditional settlements

The traditional district of "Myloi",

EDESSA (Town) PELLA
  The traditional district, "Myloi", is located next to the park of the waterfalls and constitutes the old industrial zone of Edessa. Here, the affluence of water in combination with the steep inclines of the ground has provided the potential for the exploitation of hydrokinetics for power generation. At the end of the 19th century, six water driven units, all of tem spinning and hempseed factories, were established in the area, and prospered during the mid-war period and contributed to the industrial development and the characterization of Edessa as "Manchester of the East". In 1962, economic difficulties led to the definitive closure of these units, the premises of which have nowadays been restored, while the Country Water was opened.
This text (extract) is cited October 2003 from the Pella Prefecture Tourism Committee tourist pamphlet.

Walls

ALMOPIA (Ancient area) PELLA
  The walls of the historic city of Moglena rise above the plain of Almopia, 11 miles north-east of Edessa. At the end of the 10th century the city fell into the hands of Samuel, khagan of the Bulgarians; in 1015 it was liberated by the emperor Basil II Bulgaroktonos (the Bulgar-Slayer).   Some years later, in 1082, it was taken by the Normans, whose leader Bohemond strove to repair the walls. That same year the 'grand domestikos' (army commander) Grigorios Pakourianos evicted the Normans and destroyed the walls.
  A section of a large three--aisled basilica, probably the metropolitan church of Moglena, has been excavated within the walled city. Pinelopi Delta revived the story of Moglena in her book "In the days of Bulgaroktonos", though she had never set eyes upon that now silent heap of ruins.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


Waterfalls

The Waterfalls of Edessa

EDESSA (Town) PELLA
  The waterfalls of Edessa didn't use to be the same as they are now. Until the end of the 14th century the main volume of the water was held in a small lake in the west of the town.
  Then the waters (perhaps after a geologic or weather phenomenon) decide to pass the town and to fall thematical from its rock, as a result creating many small rivers and at the same time the lake from where they were from came to an end.
  Many travellers of the 17th and 18th century describe the picture of the town with arock from which water falls of a lot of waterfalls.
  For nowadays traveller it would be difficult to understand what happened a few decades ago, when the waterfalls was an unknown place. They were hidden behind high grass, behind irrepressable vegetation, abandonned at the edge of the rock, it was considered to be a venture or even an adventure to walk down the rough paths of those days to watch them ... or to take a picture of them.
  From 1942 there is a different confrontation of the whole place and the first Germans see it with a touristic and of usage view. Each mornimg the sergeant of the Gestapo Fritz blocked the ways to the square, took away the identity cards of the men and if they wanted to get them back they had to give a hand at the work-site at the waterfalls. So in summer, in 1942, two swimming pools, parterres, flower-stands sprong out of nowhere. We could say now that they were built with an interesting architecture which respects the landscape.
  After the end of the war, the place was given to the municipality of Edessa and the gardeners looked after it, planted in it many flowers and trees. Then the civil war broke out and the waterfalls were forgotten for same time, except the farmers of "Loggos" district who enjoyed having their bath there. They were hard working people who had never seen the sea, got off their mule and dived into the cold green waters.   1953 was a turning point when a restaurant was finished and opened with the name "PISINES"(=pools) where the people of Edessa could celebrate and enjoy themselves dancing valse, tangos, mambo and jazz.
  Until the beginning of the 1960's paths were under construction so that the tourists could get to the waterfalls safely that time the places "Belventere" were constructed to have a variety of views. There was an exception however, the desicion of the electric civil service to built another small factory, destroying the waterfalls park and the waterfalls as well. This "Stupid" idea didn't work out because people of the town became stabborn and fought back so they SAVED the waterfalls after many fights, the matter of course and the manifest.
  Today the waterfalls are a well-known site of the immensity beaty for whole Greece and all the rest world. Anyone can safety admire the big waterfall named "KARANOS" and the double's. The water falls from 70 meters height and there is a small cave under the rock.
  The whole area has been upgraded and offers many facilities to the tourists. Indicatively, it is reported that there is a tourist information office continiously open as well as the Open Air Water Museum (Industrial Museum with watermills - factories) and a 5* hotel with a convetion center amd other facilities.

This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality of Edessa URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures

ΕΣΠΑ

Promotions