gtp logo

Location information

Listed 8 sub titles with search on: Local governments  for wider area of: "PYLI Small town TRIKALA" .

Local governments (8)

Municipalities' district offices

Agios Prokopios Community

  Agios Prokopios is a small community of cattle-breeders (100 inhabitants in the winter and 250 during summertime) in an altitude of 620 m. in the wooded slopes of Koziakas, among the crowns Drampala (1.298 m.), Dimitraki (1.300 m.) and Diamandi (1.680 m.) under the famous homonymous monastery and above the dam of the river Dramizioti, with the watermill of the 1880 next to it. From the top of Drampala, we face the lake of Plastiras, the Thessalian plain and the castle of Fanari.
  In the sources Tzjom, Mana, Fteri, Kanalako, Megakampo and Pergina of Padi plateau, are often seen roe deers, wolves, foxes, ferrets and some time bears.
  From the big monastery of Agios Prokopios of the 18th century, which was extended in an area of 48 acres above the village, the only thing that remained afterwards its demolition in 1960, is ruins. In 1986 the temple of Ag. Prokopios went up from pedestals. Along with Agjos Prokopios, the name of a Saint is connected, Kosmas the Aitolos and that of a thief, Gioulas. The village celebrates the memory of Agios Prokopios on July 8, with dixies and folk revelry that follow the service.

Agios Vissarion Community

  In the historical community of Agiou Vissariona (230 m. el.) we arrive either by following the street that leads to that from Filyra, through a most beautiful meadow, or from the side of Pyli's that is hardly two kilometres far. The village owes his old name "Dousiko" in an endemic of the place species of oak with the (slavic) name Dousko or Douskari.
  The first resident of the village appears registered in the community's male records since 1832, when it was under Douskar's courthouse.   Dousiko, built near the Portaikos river, has very healthy climate, which its 1.100 residents enjoy (in the winter - they are increased to 1280 in the summertime), farmers and cattle-breeders, but also "petrades" (builders of the stone) - and along with them the seasonal visitors. In a small distance from the village is found the forest "Lakka of Stefani's" and the breeding area of preys of Koziaka.
  The nearest crowns of Koziaka are Krania (1.100 m.) and Fourketsa (500 m.). A watermill, Nizeros, is saved 2 km from the village as well as the fountains Psilles Vrises, Giannaki Vrisi and Gabriel Vrisi. The latter is connected with the village with an old path, in all the length of which one meets stone manufactures. Beautiful area for relaxation, where the residents go at the 1st of May, is the meadow Dara.
  The village was connected with the famous abbey of the Savior of the Big Pylon, which is found in a distance of 5 km from there, going up in altitude of 750 m. in the Koziaka's slopes. The monastery was re-established between 1527 - 1535 by Agjos Vissarionas, Larissa's archbishop, when the Saint was exarch of Stagon.
  In the place of the church that Agjos Vissarionas built with the help of his brother Ignatios, it was built on pedestals in 1557 the today's catholic of the abbey from Larissa's Metropolite Neofyto the 2nd and the bishops of Dimitriados Joseph, Litza Louka and Torch Torture (as the ktitoric sign witnesses). The catholic, which is honoured in the name of Metamorphosis of the Savior, follows the mount athos type of cruciate four - pillar, with two (today) domes and slots in its northern and southern side. Its hagiography was done by a painter from Constantinople, Georgy. The woodcut temple is ulterior, in 1813. The once rich monastery with the 365 cells and the rich library, which became an intellectual centre of the newer Hellenism, functions today with few monks that look after its heirlooms. Among them are also the saint's scull, the will with his autographic signature, the stick and the vestments of Agios Vissarionas.
  The grave of the Saint is saved in the Community cemetery, while in the village the local show the place of his house and the monastery dependency of the abbey. In 1823 the monastery was destroyed and the 2000 volumes of its library were burned by the Albanians of P. Kortzia. In 1943 the monastery suffered new destructions from a fire. Agjos Vissarionas celebrates in the feast of Saint Spirit and in the memory of the Saint from whom it took its current name, on 14 September. In Agiou Vissariona's Eve the residents of the village go up in the monastery for adoration and spend all night there for the celebration of the Saint.

Kotroni Community

  In an altitude of 750m on the slopes of Kozjakas, 14km from Pyli, there is the village of Kotroni with roughly 520 residents population. The settlement Loggjes comes under it, in an altitude of 300m with a population of 140 residents. The main occupation of the residents is the livestock-farming. In the region there are the sources of Koziakas Krania, Kagelja and Mana, as well as the tops Ai Ljas with 1600m altitude, Leykes and Paliomantri with 1500m altitude, from where the whole Thessalian plain is visible. In the biotopes Omprava and Paliomantri, the fauna is rich in roe deers, wolves, woodcocks, partridges etc. Buildings of the previous century (1860, 1830) constitute special samples of the architecture of the region. The village celebrates at the feast of Agia Paraskevi (25-26-27/7) with a three-day revelry with local foods and in September 7 and 8 (The Birth of Virgin Mary) with revelry in the square of the village and local flavours.
  The settlement Loggjes celebrates on 20-21 May (Agios konstantinos and Helen) Impressive is the traditional ceremony, the "paschaliogiorta", the 2nd or 3rd day of Easter, in the church of Prophet Helias, at which phonetic group of old men and women of the village, sing traditional songs that are danced with special dances. In the region Krania and Bey a shelter is built, which the visitor can reach with the paths through firs.

Paleokarya Community

  Mountainous village of the valley of Portaikos (730 m.), that is 10 km far from Pyli, 3 km from Ropoto and 35 km from Trikala. It is consisted of the settlements Ano, Kato, Mesi Palaiokarya and Tsimpideika.
  The total population does not exceed the 250, while in the summertime is doubled.
  The residents are occupied with the livestock-farming (4.000 sheep). The arcaded bridge of Palaiokarya's, the dam of Portaikos in Kato Palajokarya, the forest of Katounas, katafyto with firs and oaks and the tops Gropa and Karavas, embellish the landscape of the region with particular beauty.
  In the forest of Katounas, bears appear with the heavy snowball of winter, while in the location Aeri of the Mesi Palaiokarya there is a cavern with underground waters. Project for the growth of seasonal settlement, is being worked out in the region of Bey that abstains 3 km of earth-road from the village.
  Palaiokarya, according to the tradition, was created by the thief Koutsodaumona, henchman of Stournaras who seceded and took up the region. He was the winner in the battle with Stournaras for the control of the "man-at arms" of Aspropotamos and maintained the sovereignty of the village.
  Spawn of Palaiokarya's is the poet Kalapanidas. His poem "Our Village" is found in the spelling book of the 2nd class of the Public school.
  In the village there is a private collection with exhibits from the 18th century. Interest develop the churches of Ag. Nikolaos (dates to 17th century.) and Agia Paraskevi (1810 - 1830). In the festival of Agios Nikolaos, are offered quantities of a dixie, tripe in the evening of the eve, follows the Service, revelry and dance afterwards the redundancy.

Petrochori Community

  Six km eastern of Stournaraiika, in an altitude of 650 m., between the fir forests of Mpouziaras and Mpalarou and underneath the crowns of Psillou (1.500 m.) and the Prophet Helia (1.010 m.) we meet Petrohori, a small community of farmer-breeders (350 people in winter and 480 in the summertime).
  The forest of Mpalarou, from where the lake of Plastira and Trikala are visible, the waters of the source and the torrent with the same name flow, but also waterfall Klironomia or Pouria. Near the village the tributary of Portaikos Petrohoritis, flows and are the sources Platanaki and Moutsiaropoula. The name of the location Lolou - Mandri preserves the name of Giorgos Lolos, Stournari's henchman. Another name round of which histories were woven, is that of the expert thief Themistoklis Tzimas or Gkoulias.
  In the village, the professions of kyratzi and wood - carver are practised. Distilleries also function and the mill of "Vlasioti" and the old stone house Hani - Bekou is maintained.
  Half hour on foot from the village there are the ruins of ancient fortification constituted from two parts, the Above and Down Castle that communicate between them with underground tunnel. Petrohori celebrates two times in a year with popular revelry and dixies that follow the religious events: on September 8 in the church of Panagia Phaneromeni's and on July 20 in the country church of Prophet Helia (4 km outside the village). In the way to the Prophet Helia one can see old thresher places.

Pyli Community

PYLI (Small town) TRIKALA
In the root of Pindos, in the entry of a magnificent gorge, which separates the mountains Itamos and Koziakas, but also links Thessaly with Ipeiros, 18 km western from Trikala, is found the hamlet of Pyli, county seat of the homonym municipality. Pyli is also separated from her settlement of Porta - Panagia by the Portaiko's river. Pyli has 1991 residents (inventory of 1991). It presents particular interest for the visitor, because it is found in the centre of important Byzantine and post Byzantine monuments, but also because it constitutes passage for the graphic villages of Aspropotamos and Arta.
This text is cited Oct 2003 from the WebPage of Municipality of Pyli

Ropoto Community

  Eleven km southern from Pyli, in an altitude of 750 metres, Ropoto is stretched out that is consisted of seven settlements: central, Tsekouras, Panagia, Polythea (Mousia), Agios Ioannis, Agjos Dimitrios and Loggjes. Its residents mainly, who work on arboriculture but also are farmer-breeders, reach the number of 850 in the winter and 1300 during summertime.
  Right and left the central settlement unfold 3.500 acres of chest nut wood, where wild boars, wolves, foxes and jackals live, as well as partridges and woodcocks while all the region round the village is literally drowned in fir (15.000 acres.). The really picturesque scene of the village, supplement the 15 sources that refresh it - among them those of Goura, Mourtzies, Jtia, Sgourolivado and Koromilia - and the tributaries of Portaikos river, Ropotianos and Palikarias. Going up in the famous top of Karavas (1618 m.) one can enjoy an amazing view of the Thessalian plain. Beginning from there the path leads, through a most beautiful way on foot, up to Panagia the Spilia of Argithea Karditsa.
  In the village are saved and function watermill, dristella (that belongs in the church of Agios Ioannis) and four traditionally distilleries with cauldrons. There is also a craftsman that manufactures ftseles, spindles and other wooden vessels and tools.
  From Easter up to September in Ropoto traditional feasts live up. In the third day of Easter in the church of Saint Trinity of the Central settlement, phonetic group consisted of small children, sings songs that are being danced by all the members of the community with the priests and the chairman being the leaders. In 7th and 8th of May, the church of Agios Ioannis celebrates with splendour and folk revelry following the events of worship.
  Every two years, in the second fortnight of July, the meeting of the old is being done in the Central settlement: the ancient of the old invites the rest, mentioning those who are absent, and all together nominate the chairman of the meeting, who regulates the order with which the elders recite extemporary poems that they have made for the circumstance. The meeting ends with songs that the elders themselves sing and dance.
  On July 20 the memory of Prophet Helia is being celebrated in the county church of the Saint. In the eve tripe is being served and on the day of the celebration, food from cauldron and the revelry in the Central settlement lasts two days. In the last Sunday of July is being done, in the location of "Mandri" with the stone shelter (where also the shear in the first week of June) in an altitude of 1300 metres, the meeting of all the residents Ropoto with resurgence of old traditional games, dance, roasting of lambs and offering of boiled milk with salt and bread (trjpsana) from the cattle-breeders. On the 15th of August a two-day festival is being done and on September 20 the residents of the village who follow the old calendar, celebrate the memory of Agios Eustathios in the settlement of Panagia. Familiar in the neighbors is the history of the murder of the Turk tax collector Katsimpas in the dues of 18th century, in the location - that since then brings his name - in the district of Agios Konstantinos.


Pyli Municipality

PYLI (Small town) TRIKALA
Tel: +30 24343 50100
Fax: +30 24343 50150

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures