KOTZINOS (Port) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
The church of Zoodochos Pigi which existed in the interior of the castle was recently renovated. Since 1415 it is referred to, as Zoodochos Pigi of Syngellos, an independent monastery. Ancient steps, quite deteriorated begin from the ant-temple and lead to an underground vault. In this room exists a holy water spring. In fact the spring is whatever remained of a water-supply construction once used by the castle during sieges. There is a tale about this water: Once a queen of the island tried to hide there when her enemies were running after her. She is the one who confuses anybody who insists to count the steps. They seem to be sometimes 84, sometimes 64, sometimes 57... and sometimes 51.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).
The church was built in 1904.
MYRINA (Small town) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
The church of Agia Triada (= The Holy Three) was built by the Metropolitan Ioannikio around 1724 in the place of an older church. The church was destroyed by the Turks in 1770 after the Turkish - Russian war and started to be re-built with a slow pace from 1835 with donations from the local people and those that had migrated to Egypt. The required wood came in 1865 from Odysso, a donation from a Lemnian ship captain. The iconostasis is wooden-carved and full of byzantine icons. On the right side of the iconostasis is a icon of Agia Triada. Most of the icons are painted around the middle of the 18th century but older ones are also found
REPANIDI (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
The church of St George (Agios Georgios) at Repanidi was built in the middle of the 19th century following the type of a three-aisled wooden roof basilica with influences from Neoclassicism. This specific type of church constitutes the most characteristic one in religious architecture of post-Byzantine years on Lemnos. Particularly remarkable is the wood carved templon of the church as well as the rich decoration of its walls with the afresco technique.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below.
THANOS (Village) LEMNOS (LIMNOS)
The chapel is located near the village of Zemata in the area of Thanos (about 4 km from Myrina). Remnant of one of the numerous monasteries on the island, it is known from 1305, a year in which it become part of the monastery of Agia Lavra, when some monks from the island of Ag. Eustratios who belonged to the monastery settled in the chapel in order to protect themselves from the Turkish raids. It is located at a spectacular position in a hardly-reached cave, on the top of a hill among impressive rocks, a location in which in Byzantine years there was probably an Early-Christian church and hermits.
On the first Tuesday after Easter there is a service at the chapel. On that day the icon of the Virgin (Panagia) Kakaviotissa -which for the rest of the year is kept by a family at Kontia- is brought at the chapel. According to tradition, the members of this family are the descendants of a laborer to whom the last monk gave the icon in question.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!