According to tradition, Kalli was a woman who owned large areas of
fertile land. Her obedients created the village Kalliopi. Her sarcophagus - made
of marble and decorated with engraved representations - is built in a wall that
surrounds the cemetery of the village. The church of Aghios Georgios was built
in 1869. Aghios Ceorgios is honoured with horse races. The riders compete on horses
without saddles. The winner, after running around the temple three times, accepts
the prize from the priest at the ante-temple and goes into the church on the horse
to light a candle in honour of the saint. The prize once was a lamb with a red
ribbon around its neck. Today it is just a medal with a red ribbon.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos
Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).