Jeferemini changed its name to Valira on 4 November 1927. Its new
name originated from Valira later called Mavrozoumena, the tributary river of
Pamisos. Until then it was part
of the prefecture of Mikromani. The school of the village opened in 1862 and the
first teacher was Dionisios Kastoulidis.
In 1839 Valira was the headquarters of the Derron municipality, which
consisted of Valira and Skala. In 1840 the municipalities of Derron and Steniklaro
were abolished and later incorporated in the municipality of Ihalia, which had
already been established in 1835.
Today Valira is the headquarters of the newly established Municipality
This text is cited April 2003 from the
Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.