EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Sights for destination: "LEFKADA Town IONIAN ISLANDS".


Sights (6)

Castles, fortresses & fortifications

St. Maura Castle

At the entrance to the island, like a silent fortress and testimony to others eras, stands the castle of Santa Maura. It once embraced the capital and closed off the road for enemies and pirates. The castle was built around 1300 by the Frankish ruler Giovanni Orsini when he was given Lefkada on his marriage to the daughter of the Despot of Epirus, Nikiforos I, as part of the dowry she brought with her. It is one of the most imposing castles of its era and is an excellent example of Medieval fortress architecture. The castle was conquered by the Turks in 1479 who built a large, arched bridge with 360 arches, which cut across the lagoon from the coast to Kalkanis. This bridge supported the pipes of the Turkish aqueduct used to bring water to the castle. The bridge dominated the whole area but was destroyed, however, in the earthquakes. Some traces of its remains can be seen within the lagoon. The various conquerors who passed through have left indelible marks on the castle, which put up a courageous resistance to even the most powerful of earthquakes. The church of Ayia Mavra (Santa Maura) which is inside the castle is fully preserved. The castle is currently undergoing careful restoration work in order to restore it to its original design. On entering the town the visitor is welcomed by the great poets of Lefkada: the park of the poets contains the busts of Aristotelis Valaoritis, Angelos Sikelianos and Lafcadio Hearn as well as that of Kleareti Dipla-Malamou.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Beautiful locations

Gyra

Lefkada is impressive even as it first greets the visitor, as he crosses the narrow strip of dry land and the 50-metre long floating bridge from the coast of Aitoloakarnania. The bridge turns around on itself allowing small boats to pass through the canal of Lefkada. Gyra is one of Lefkada's most important natural beauties. This narrow strip of white sand, 7 kilometres long, which embraces the lagoon on the north of the island, makes the landscape quite special. Gyra begins from the point almost behind the Kastro, creating Ammoglossa ('sand tongue') and reaching as far as the other side, beyond the town. Inside the lagoon is the 'ivari,' where fish are bred in special, traditional wicker baskets and grow within natural conditions. The lagoon of Lefkada is a wonderful wetland inhabited by many and rare species of bird, such as swans, pelicans, herons, wild ducks, wild geese, coots and others.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


Squares & gardens

St. Spyridon

The central square of the town. The name is taken from the adjacent church of the same name which dominates the square. Around about there are coffee shops, confectioneries, restaurants.


Buildings

Town Hall

The building which today houses the Town Hall was built during the period of British rule.


Houses

Lefkadios Hearn house

Behind Saint Spyridon Square is the house which was the birthplace of the scholar and translator Lefkadio Hearn.


Aggelos Sikelianos house

Beside the library is the house where the great poet Aggelos Sikelianos was born.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.