Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "TORONI
Information about the place (6)
Educational institutions WebPages
Pages of Macedonia University
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
A town of Macedonia, in the district of Chalcidice, and on the southwest side of the peninsula Sithonia, from which the gulf between the peninsulas Sithonia and Pallene was called Sinus Toronaicus.
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
The Catholic Encyclopedia
A titular see in Macedonia,
suffragan of Thessalonica.
Torone was a colony of Chalcideans from Euboea,
on the southwest coast of the peninsula Sithonia,
the modern name of which is Longos; this is the middle peninsula of Chalcidice,
lying between the Toronaic Gulf, called today Cassandra,
and the Gulf of Singitticus
(Mt. Athos). Built on a hill, in a fine situation, it had a harbour called Kophos
(deaf), because the sound of the sea-waves could not be heard there, thus giving
rise to the proverb: “Deafer than the port of Torone.”
Torone had thirty small cities under its government; like the other
Grecian cities of the region, it furnished Xerxes with men and ships. After the
Persian War it passed under the rule of Athens.
In 424 B.C., the Olynthian Lysistratus, opened its gates to Brasidas; it was shortly
afterwards retaken by Cleon. After the peace of Nicias it was ceded to the Athenians;
in 379 B.C. it was taken by Agesipolas; in 364-3, by the Athenian Timotheus; in
349-8, by Philip, who annexed it with the other cities of Chalcidice
to his own kingdom. In 169 Torone repelled an attack made by the Roman fleet.
Since then history is silent about this city, which Pliny calls a free city. Its
ruins, in the vilayet of Salonica,
still bear the ancient name, pronounced by the Greeks, Toroni.
As an episcopal see, Torone does not appear in any of the “Notitia
episcopatuum,” and we know of no bishop of the diocese.
S. Petrides, ed.
Transcribed by: John Fobian
This text is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
Perseus Project index
Total results on 29/8/2001: 61
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Eth. Toronaios. A town of Chalcidice in Macedonia, situated upon the
SW. coast of the peninsula of Sithonia. It was said to have derived its name from
Torone, a daughter of Proeteus or Poseidon and Phoenice. (Steph. B. s. v. Torone.)
It was a Greek colony, founded by the Chalcidians of Euboea, and appears to have
been originally the chief settlement of the Chalcidians in these parts. Hence
the gulf lying between the peninsulas of Sithonia and Torone was generally called
the Toronaean, now the Gulf of Kassaindhra. (Toronaikos kolpos, Steph. B. s. v.
Torone; Ptol. iii. 13. § 13; Toronikos kolpos, Strab. vii. p. 330; Scyimn. Ch.
640; Toronaicum mare, Liv. xliv. 11; Toronaeus sinus, Tac. Ann. v. 10.) Like the
other Greek cities in these parts, Torone furnished ships and men to the army
of Xerxes in his invasion of Greece. (Herod. vii. 122.) After the Persian War
Torone came under the dominion of Athens. In B.C. 424 a party in the town opened
the gates to Brasidas, but it was retaken by Cleon two years afterwards. (Thuc.
iv. 110, seq., v. 2.) At a later time it seems to have been subject to Olynthus,
since it was recovered by the Athenian general Timotheus. (Diodor. xv. 81.) It
was annexed by Philip, along with the other Chalcidian cities, to the Macedonian
empire. (Diodor. xvi. 53.) In the war against Perseus, B.C. 169, it was attacked
by a Roman fleet, but without success. (Liv. xliv. 12.) Theophrastus related that
the Egyptian bean grew in a marsh near Torone (ap. Athen. iii. p. 72, d.); and
Archestratus mentions a particular kind of fish, for which Torone was celebrated
(ap. Athen. vii. p. 310, c.). The harbour of Torone was called Cophos (Kophos),
or deaf, because being separated from the sea by two narrow passages, the noise
of the waves was never heard there: hence the proverb kophoteros tou Toronaiou
limenos. (Strab. vii. p. 330; Mela, ii. 3; Zenob. Prov. Graec. cent. iv. pr. 68.)
This port is apparently the same as the one called by Thucydides (v. 2) the harbour
of the Colophonians, which he describes as only a little way from the city of
the Toronaeans. Leake conjectures that we ought perhaps to read Kophon instead
of Kolophonion. It is still called Kufo, and Torone likewise retains its ancient
name. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. pp. 119, 155, 455.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)