A historic village with a population of about 1,050 inhabitants which
probably took its name pidginly from the neighbouring ancient town of Karphia.
It is the capital of the new Municipality and it is situated on the 33rd km of
Amfissa - Lamia
National Road. Gravia is famous for the historic battle given on 8th May 1821
by Androutsos and the other leaders of the struggle, who closed themselves in
the legendary-historic Inn along with the 120 fighters and other supporters in
the region and stopped Omer Vrionis, by cutting his way towards Salona and Peloponnese,
targetting to the suppression of the Revolution. On the site dominates the statue
of hero Odysseas and, reently, the historic Inn ("Hani") has been restored (It
was inaugurated by the President of Hellenic Republic, M. K. Stefanopoulos and
it is open to visitors). In a distance of 5 km to the South East, on the mountainsides
there is the monastery of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (or Panasari), a significant
monument, with a Byzantine church (with two domes), built in AD 1517.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the WebPage
of the Prefecture of