Three-aisled basilica with a narthex on the west side and a
second entrance with a monumental propylon in the middle of the south wall. To
the east of the propylon a building is attached, probably a baptistery or a diaconicon.
A small parecclesion (chapel) is formed at the east end of the north aisle. Of
the interior decoration a few fragments of mosaics have survived in the soffits
of the arches of the colonnades, dated to the 5th century A.D. Several parts of
the wall paintings dated to the 13th century, are also preserved in the south
was built in the middle of the 5th century, on the remains of a Roman
bath. It was dedicated to the Holy Virgin "not made by human hands" (Acheiropoietos)-the
name most probably refering to the cult image - and it was the first church in
Thessalonike to be converted into a mosque after the conquest of the city by the
Turks, in 1430. During the turkish occupation, pracically all the figurative decoration
of the church in mosaics and frescoes was hammered down. In 1930, it was turned
over to the Christian cult.
Excavations were carried out in 1927-28, in 1946-47 in the precinct
of the church and in 1961, in the area to the west of the church. Following the
earthquake of 1978, in the course of the study for the restoration of the building,
several trenches were opened on the interior and in the courtyard.
Extensive restoration work was undertaken at the beginning of the
century, in 1927-28 and again, in 1949. After the earthquake of 1978, restoration
of the monument began once again and the work is still in progress.
The monument is used as a church.