sanctuary of Hera was founded at the beginning of the 8th century B.C., probably
by the Argives or the Megarians, but it soon came under the control of the Corinthians.
In the 6th century B.C., the shrine of Hera Akraia was constructed on the site
of a Geometric apsidal temple, and 200 m. east of it, near the harbour, the shrine
of Hera Limenia was built.
The sanctuary expanded during the 5th century B.C. with the
construction of an L-shaped stoa and an altar and the creation of an agora, while
a large roofed cistern was built in the 4th century B.C. After the destruction
of Corinth by the Romans
in 146 B.C., the sanctuary fell into decline and was abandoned. The Sanctuary
was excavated in 1930-1933 by the British School of Archaeology at Athens under
the direction of H. Payne.
The finds are exhibited in National
Archaeological Museum of Athens and the Archaeological
Museum of Ancient Corinth.