acropolis of Kavala
is one of the medieval fortification walls of the "white
era", that is, the period before the use of gunpowder in war practice. The construction
of the towers, entrances and walls is distinguished by the lack of strong defensive
Diggings for the construction of modern buildings at the area of the
headland of Panagia are inspected by the local Ephorate of Antiquities.
In the years 1964-1969, extensive restoration and consolidation work
took place, including the reconstruction of parts of the wall. Later, in the years
between 1973-74 and 1978-79, the coastal wall, behind the Customs House of Kavala,
was also restored. Moreover, the Technical Chamber of Greece and the Polytechnic
University of Athens in collaboration with the 12th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities
are studying the restoration and repairing of the joints of the blocks in order
to prevent the destruction caused at several points by the deposits of earth and
the weight of the superimposing houses.
The most important monuments of the site are:
It stands on the top of the rocky headland of Panagia
and overlooks the modern city. It was built at the beginning of the 15th century
at the site of the Byzantine acropolis which was destroyed in 1391. It contains
all the typical defensive structures, that is the bastion, the water cistern,
the storehouse for military equiment (later used as a prison), a guard's house
and the circular tower which was preserved from the Byzantine period.
The coastal wall.
This part of the medieval wall of Kavala, built
in many architectural phases, encloses the rocky headland of the traditional settlement
of Panagia of Kavala.