castle lies on the prominent hill called "Larissa", overlooking the town of
Argos. It was founded in the 6th century B.C. During the Byzantine period the
fortress was of essential strategic importance and in 1203 came under the control
of the archon of Nauplion, Leon Sgouros. In 1212 it was captured by Othon de la
Roche and was controlled by the Greeks until 1388. Between 1394 and 1463 it was
occupied by the Venetians. In 1463 it was captured by the Turks and remained under
their control until 1822, interrupted during 1686-1715, when Larissa came under
the control of the Venetian admiral Morozini. The site was liberated by the Greeks
Salvage interventions have been carried out at the foundations of
the monument. The exterior circuit wall and the entrance have been consolidated
by the 5th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
The most important monuments of the site are:
The external horseshoe-shaped circuit wall has an entrance on the
SW side and is reinforced by battlements and toowers (square, round, triangular,
and octagonal). A second, interior enceinte to the south forms the smaller, upper
fortress. The main architectural phase of the monument dates from the Medieval
period but traces of earlier phases have also been distinguished.
Small Byzantine church over the north wall of the interior fortress.