The French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses built that lighthouse in 1864. The tower height is 9 meters and its focal plane 49 meters. It was added to Greek Lighthouses Network in 1912-13, after the end of Balkans Wars.
It’s located at the edge of Agios Ioannis cape, also known as Aforesmenos cape, from which the lighthouse was named. The cape is at the north side of Mirambelou gulf and always blow stormy winds. According to the local myth, there were disembarked the Roman soldiers and buried the Kaiafas, who died during his travel to Rome. Due to that fact, the cape was called Aforesmenos (meaning un-churched).