Church of the Metamorphosis at Christianioupoli
Last Update: Sep 2017
Church of the Metamorphosis at Christianioupoli - Overview
In terms of architecture, it is the most important Byzantine church
of Messenia. It comprises two adjoined buildings, the church and a structure to
the west. The church is of the composite, octagonal domed type, distinguished
by the careful "cloisonne" masonry, decorated with large stone crosses on the
lower sections of the walls. The facades are plain, with very poor brick and sculpture
ornaments. Few fragments of wall paintings, dated to the 12th century, are preserved
inside the church.
During the Medieval period, the church was the Cathedral of the metropolitan
bishopric of Christianoupolis, which was established at the end of the 11th century.
The building attached to the west of the church was used as an episcopal palace
and possibly as a defensive tower in the Late Byzantine period.
The monument is dated to the 11th or, most likely, to the 12th century
A.D. The monument was half-ruined and restored to its present form in 1951. Today
it functions as a parish church.
Near the site of Christianoi, the following monuments are worth visiting:
the traditional settlement of Kyparissia with the important castle called
"Arcadia", built during the Byzantine period,
the small churches of Analepsis (13th century), St. George Bourianon (17th
century) and Panaghia Vlacherna (first half of the 19th century) at Philiatra.
Church of the Metamorphosis at Christianioupoli - Map
Principals / HQ / participations...
- As a monument is administered by:
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.