In the northeast part of Serifos, near the village of Galini, about
1 kilometer from Panagia
is the Monastery of the Taxiarches, dedicated to the patrons of the island, the
Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Founded around 1600, it is built like a fortress.
The church contains a few of the frescoes that once decorated it, a marble and
wood iconostasis, some memorable icons (the one of the archangels having been
brought from Cyprus), a marble floor and an elegant dome. The monastery also has
a superb collection of ecclesiastical treasures, including a holy codex. It is
situated conveniently near the beach of Platys
This extract is cited May 2003 from the Municipality
of Serifos tourist pamphlet.