In the northeast part of Serifos, near the village of Galini, about
1 kilometer from Panagia
is the Monastery of the Taxiarches, dedicated to the patrons of the island, the
Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Founded around 1600, it is built like a fortress.
The church contains a few of the frescoes that once decorated it, a marble and
wood iconostasis, some memorable icons (the one of the archangels having been
brought from Cyprus), a marble floor and an elegant dome. The monastery also has
a superb collection of ecclesiastical treasures, including a holy codex. It is
situated conveniently near the beach of Platys
This extract is cited May 2003 from the Municipality
of Serifos tourist pamphlet.
Displaying 10 out of 13 total photos found for SERIFOS.