The sanctuary known as Laphrion
was one of the most important Aetolian sanctuaries, dedicated to the cult
of Apollo and Artemis. It lay to the southwest of the acropolis of Calydon and
its area was enclosed by a circuit wall. The earliest evidence for cult practice
on the site is dated to the Geometric period and it seems that the sanctuary remained
in use until the Roman period, but flourished in the 6th century B.C. The sanctuary
was identified in 1908 by G. Soteriadis and excavated by a Greek-Danish expedition
The most important monuments of the area are:
Temple of Artemis Laphria:
It is situated on the summit of the precinct
of the sanctuary and only its foundations are preserved. Three main architectural
phases have been distinguished on the basis of fragments of terracotta trimmings
found during the excavations. The first temple was built at the end of the 7th
century B.C. and the last in 360 B.C. A chryselephantine (gold and ivory) statue
of the goddess stood inside the temple.
Treasures on the southeast side of the "sacred way":
decorated with painted terracotta ornaments and date from the first half of the
6th century B.C.
Remains of a Stoa:
It is located in the north part of the precinct and
dates from the 3rd-2nd century B.C. It seems that the structure was two-storeyed
with two semicircular niches at the ends.