The Mycenaean acropolis lies on the top of a hill, known as the "Kastro
tou Ai-Dria" (St. Andrew's Castle). The site was discovered in 1899 by the archaeologist
Christos Tsountas and excavated in 1970-80 by the Ephor of Antiquities Varvara
Philippaki, who brought to light a large section of the acropolis.
The excavations uncovered a large section of the Mycenaean wall, reinforced
with eight rectangular towers, which surrounded the acropolis in the 12th century
BC. In the Geometric period (8th century BC) a simple circuit wall and a large
tower were added, and two gateways were opened. Inside the enclosed area, excavations
have brought to light the ruins of at least five buildings, probably houses, one
of which certainly dates from the Mycenaean period. The rest were most likely
used in the 8th century BC.
Art & culture
Europa Nostra Award
Walls: Mycenaean palatial period, 1400-1200 BCGeometric period, 1025-700 BC
Houses: Mycenaean civilization, 1600-1100 BCGeometric period, 1025-700 BC