The Argyros mansion is one of the most distinguished recent monuments of the island of Santorini
and occupies an important place within the Messaria community as it is significant for its morphological and its
architectural value. It combines the traditional architecture of Santorini with elements and influences of eclecticism.
Many morphological elements decorate the building's facets and there are ceiling paintings of exceptional art in
its interior. All the upper floor's furniture and utensils are conserved and protected as museological objects, thus
providing an insight into the residence of a 19th century landowner of Santorini.
The mansion was built in 1888 by the landowner and wine merchant G. Argyros, on the land of a
pre-existing traditional building which occupied a quarter of an acre. During the 1956 earthquakes the building
suffered major damages and its SE corner collapsed together with the main hall's roof. Since then, the mansion
remained uninhabited for many years. Today it belongs to the company A.X.T.E.FLORA S.A. and it is completely
restored. The ground-floor serves as a five star hostel while the upper floor operates as a museum with guided tours
for the public.
The Argyros mansion's complete restoration was approved by the Ministry of Culture and by a
ministerial decree of 1985, the building was identified as a work of art encircled by a 50 meters protection zone.