Some five kilometres to the southwest of Petra, οn the Roudi hill,
with a panoramic sea view, is the village of Lafiona, or Lathiona (from the ancient
Greek verb "lanthano", to lie hidden).
Α little beyond the village square is the Church of the Dormition
of the Virgin, a three - aisled basilica built in 1807 and renovated in 1920.
The Church of St. Parasceva holds a major fair οn 26 Ju1y, at which
the traditional "kίskek" is served, after being lovingly concocted in
the shade of the age - old plane trees. Το the south of the village, two kilometres
αway, οn α flat spot covered with pines and plane trees, are the ruins of an Early
Christian church and the Chapel of St. Alexander.
Nearby, α sarcophagus of grey trachyte in which in all probability
the ascetic St. Alexander was buried, has survived.
From the abandoned mountαin village οf Κlapados, which is οn the southern
boundaries of the Municipality
and was the site of the last victorious battles of the Greek troops
against the Turks in December 1912 for the liberation of Lesvos, an enchanting
ecological route starts out to Αghios Alexandros, through α publicly - owned pine
wood of great beauty.
On this route, it is possible from α high vantage point to appreciate
the full grandeur of Anaxos