The village of Armolia is located two kilometers from Kalamoti
and 20 kilometers from the town
of Chios on a fertile plain. The village constitutes the island’s central
crossroad for the southern villages of Kalamoti,
and Lithi. Visitors encounter
an artificial lake upon their arrival, which provides water for the animals and
is used to water crops. .
The inhabitants of Armolia maintain a long tradition in ceramic pottery
such as pitchers, vases, jars, bowls, cups, etc. This village is famous for its
pottery that is decorated with flowers, birds and fish. In the village, there
are small, stone houses, narrow side streets and cobbled roads.
One of the most impressive iconostasis on the island can be found
in the Church of Panaghia (Virgin Mary) and is dated 1744. This church is adjacent
to the village’s central Church of Aghios Dimitrios.
On the hill, just west of the village, stands the Byzantine castle
of Apolihnon which was built 1440. The Genoese established the administrative
mansion of the Mastihohoria (Mastic villages), a remarkable medieval monument
which is still preserved and can easily be reached by visitors. Don’t miss...The Apolihnon Castle
built in 1440 by the Genoese. The sign indicating the starting point of the trail
is just a few feet from the ceramic pottery shops.