The town of Orei and its coastline was planned and built in 1833 by the Bavarian topographer, George Sdoumayer. This explains the fact that the area close to the port was not residential because of the fear of invasions from the sea. The building in this area started after 1850 with plans from Bavarian palace builders and Stamatis Kleanthis, a Greek engineer from Constantinople.
In August 1965 a 3.2m long marble bull, from the Hellenistic era was found at the beach and is now exhibited behind the church of Sotiros at the port.
Inside the municipal building one can also see the findings of the archaeological collection of Orei, Istiea and the surrounding areas.
Nowadays, from May to October, both locals and tourists, for their evening outings, prefer the port of Orei. At the port one can also see many sail boats as armature races also take place during the summer.
The above extract is from the tourist brochure of the municipality of Orei , May 2003.