Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Sights
for wider area of: "ELOUNDA
Castles, fortresses & fortifications
Tel: +30 28410 41773
islet of Spinalonga
is located at the entrance of the Elounta bay.
In antiquity there was a fortress of the Olounites. In 1579 the Venetians built an imposing
and the islet was used as a military camp during the Venetian - Ottoman wars which ended with the subjection of Crete to the Turks in 1669.
It is noteworthy that the fortified Spinalonga was occupied by the Ottomans only in the early 18th century and was used as
a settlement until the end of the 19th centrury. From 1903 until 1957, by law of the Cretan and later the Greek State,
Spinalonga was established as a settlement for the lepers.
First byzantine period bassilica
There are ruins of a basilica east of the site of Olous, behind the
restaurant. The floor is a black and white mosaic incorporating fish and plant
designs. Built into the wall of the church is an inscription in the Doric dialect
that records the end of an alliance between Olous and Rhodes.
This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.