EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Local governments for destination: "KEFALINOS Village ITHOMI".


Local governments (1)

Municipalities' district offices

Kefalinou Community

  The village is situated at the foot of the Kapsalas Mountain. It dates back to the 11th - 12th century AD. Kefalinos, a Norman landowner, to whom it owes its name, built it.
  On the east, opposite the village, lies the Panayia (Virgin Mary) Mountain. The church "Deposition of the holly belt" dedicated to Virgin Mary is on its top.
  Water is abundant in the Kefalinos village and it springs from fountains under the shadow of plane trees, on the three sides of the village. The first fountain called Pano Vryssi (upper fountain) originates from the top of the Kapsalas Mountain and used to be decorated with two arches out of which only one has been saved. The second one, Pera Vryssi (far-away fountain), is estimated to be over 700 year-old and consists of two springs. The water of Krya Vryssi (fresh fountain) comes from a spring under the Holy Altar of the church of Agios (Saint) Athanasios.
  Kefalinos is the birthplace of Ilias Kormas, hero of the 1821 Greek War for the Independence, chieftain of Kontovounia and one of the prominent personalities of the area.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.