The village is situated at the foot of the Kapsalas Mountain. It dates
back to the 11th - 12th century AD. Kefalinos, a Norman landowner, to whom it
owes its name, built it.
On the east, opposite the village, lies the Panayia (Virgin Mary)
Mountain. The church "Deposition of the holly belt" dedicated to Virgin Mary is
on its top.
Water is abundant in the Kefalinos village and it springs from fountains
under the shadow of plane trees, on the three sides of the village. The first
fountain called Pano Vryssi (upper fountain) originates from the top of the Kapsalas
Mountain and used to be decorated with two arches out of which only one has been
saved. The second one, Pera Vryssi (far-away fountain), is estimated to be over
700 year-old and consists of two springs. The water of Krya Vryssi (fresh fountain)
comes from a spring under the Holy Altar of the church of Agios (Saint) Athanasios.
Kefalinos is the birthplace of Ilias Kormas, hero of the 1821 Greek
War for the Independence, chieftain of Kontovounia and one of the prominent personalities
of the area.
This text is cited April 2003 from the
Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.