Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "TRAIANOPOLI
Information about the place (4)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
The ancient capital of Rhodope, founded by Trajan on the site of the
earlier town of Doriskos. Darius left a small garrison at a fort there after his
war with the Scythians. At Doriskos, Xerxes gathered men and supplies in preparation
for the invasion of Greece. Even though the surrounding territory returned to
Thracian control, the fort was still held by the Persians in the time of Herodotos,
later in the 5th c. It was garrisoned by both Philip II and Philip V of Macedon.
The site has been identified with an acropolis near Loutros at the edge of the
high ground W of the Evros (ancient Hebros) delta. In addition to prehistoric
remains, marble architectural fragments and inscriptions have been found, the
latter including a precinct boundary stone at the foot of the acropolis. Dumont
reported extensive remains of houses and streets on the plain near the sea, but
no sign of monumental public buildings.
M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Traianopolis. An important town in the S. of Thrace, which was probably
founded by or in honour of the emperor Trajan, about the time when Plotinopolis
was founded, to perpetuate the name of his wife Plotina. Its exact site appears
to be somewhat doubtful. Some authorities describe it as situated on the right
bank of the Hebrus, near the pass in the range of Mount Rhodope, through which
that river flows, and about 40 miles from its mouth. Now this is the site of the
modern Orikhova, with which accordingly it is by some identified. It would be
difficult, however, to reconcile this with the various distances given in the
Itineraries: e. g. Trajanopolis is stated to be 9000 paces from Tempyra, and 29,000
from Cypsela; whereas the site above mentioned is nearly equidistant from those
assigned to Tempyra and Cypsela, being, however, more distant from the former.
But this is only one example out of many showing how extremely imperfect is our
knowledge of the geography of Thrace, both ancient and modern. In the map of the
Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge Trajanopolis is placed on the Egnatian
Way at a considerable distance W. of the Hebrus, and at a point which fulfils
tolerably well the conditions of distance from the two places above mentioned.
Trajanopolis became the capital of the province of Rhodope, and continued
to be a place of importance until the fourth century. It is remarkable, however,
that it is not mentioned by Ammianus in his general description of Thrace; according
to him, the chief cities of Rhodope were Maximianopolis, Maroneia, and Aenus.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
The Catholic Encyclopedia
Titular metropolitan see of Rhodope.
The city owes its foundation or restoration to Trajan.
In 1564 Gabriel is called Metropolitan of Trajanopolis, that is of
Maronia, which proves that
Trajanopolis was then destroyed and that the title of metropolitan had passed
to the neighbouring city of Maronia.
About 640 Trajanopolis had two suffragan sees; at the beginning of the tenth century,
seven. St. Glyceria, a martyr of the second century, venerated on 13 May, was
born there. The town was captured and pillaged in 1206 by Joannitza, King of the
The site of Trajanopolis was discovered by Viquesnel and Dumont on
the right bank near the mouth of the Maritza, not far from Ouroundjik.
S. Vailhe, ed.
Transcribed by: Thomas M. Barrett
This extract is cited June 2003 from The Catholic Encyclopedia, New Advent online edition URL below.
Local government WebPages
The ruins of an important Roman city named Traeanoupolis, are located 14-km to the east of Alexandroupolis and south of the nearest village that is called Loutra. The city was founded in 98 - 117 AC from the emperor Marcus Ulpius Traegnus and is build on the main axis of the Via Egnatia, the visitors can see the remains of the city, right to the road that is leading from Loutra to Monasterake.
Presumable this place was chosen because of the spa, which are active until today. The Romans kept the Greek political organization. According to epigraphic and monetary sources we know about the existence of the Holly Senate, the municipality and the races. Already from the 2nd AC century we know that a Christian community is making its appearance. In 161 AC Agia Glekerea died a martyr to her faith because she refused to worship Zeus.
From the 4th AC century the city becomes a metropolis. The city was abandoned after several disasters that happened between 1343- 1347 AC.
The wall of the city according to the information of Prokopius was repaired by emperor Justus in the 6 AC century unfortunately only a few parts of the wall are remaining and these are in bad conditions. Behind the Hanna you can find baths, which are there from the ages of the Ottoman Empire.
You can also see ruins of church on the hill of Agios Georgios, presumable an Acropolis of the Roman settlement, ruins of a Turkish opium den known as Esaklar, which was described from the Turkish traveler Evligia Tselembe in 1668.
Recently a tomb with gems from the 1st AC century was found in the surrounding area of the city, nowadays the gems are exhibited in the archaeological museum of Komotene where you also can see a solar watch, which is offered to the nine muses and two marble icons from the 11th- 12th century, all those exhibits are coming from the same area.
This extract is cited Sept 2003 from the Development Company of Alexandroupolis URL below, which contains images.