EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 2 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "PYLOS Small town MESSINIA".


Information about the place (2)

Commercial WebPages

Local government WebPages

Pylos

  Pylos is built on the south part of Messinia by the bay of Navarino combining mainland architecture with the beauty of an island and constitutes a commercial and administrative centre for Southwest Messinia. It is an important centre for the refuelling of ship as it is on the course of the ship which join the markets of the West to those of the East. It is an archaeological, historical and touristic place. Its port is one of the best and the safest natural ports of the Mediterranean and it has become famous for the naval battle that took place there on the 20th October 1827 between the fleet of Ibrahem Pasha and the Turks against the Allied forces of England-France-Russia. The Allied forces won, which brought about the victory of the Greek fighters during the Revolution against the Turkish invaders.
  Ancient Pylos (Koryfasio) is thought to have been in the area of cape Koryfasio in the north of the contemporary city. The homeric Pylos was initially settled by the mythological Pylo with the Leleges from Megara. Nileas from Ioklos of Thessaly forced Pylo to leave and established his own kingdom which became famous because of the wise King, Nestoras, who built his royal palace on the hill of Eglianos. In 1831, the rock of the subsequent Navarino is invaded by the Navarrei(Vaski) of Jacob De Bo, who built the castle Castle of Navarrei.
  In 1573, the Turks become the lords of the city and construct another castle at the mouth of the port which is named ┬źNiokastro┬╗. After the battle at Sfaktiria, in May 1825, Ibrahem Pasha obtains the castle again and drives out its Greek revolutionary defenders. The historical Naval battle of Navarino seals the struggle of Greeks for freedom, establishing Pylos as a place for friendship and co-operation among the nations.
  Today, Pylos is an administrative and commercial centre for the Southwest Messinia, 52 Km away from Kalamata, with excellent touristic infrastucture like hotels, restaurants and marinas for boats and yachts.

This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.