EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 1 sub titles with search on: History for wider area of: "AGIOS NIKOLAOS Municipality LASSITHI" .


History (1)

Commercial WebPages

Historical Agios Nikolaos

  The history of Agios Nikolaos begins in ancient times when it was the port for Lato, a powerful city during Hellenistic times. The harbour was still used during Roman times and the first Byzantine period although its importance had diminished. After this, it disappeared from history only to reappear in 1206 when the Genoans built the fortress of Mirabelo and gave its name to the town and bay. An earthquake destroyed the fortress and no trace of it remains. In the sixteenth century, the Venetians gave the town its current name, taken from the chapel of Agios Nikolaos on the peninsula of Limena. During the Turks' rule the town was uninhabited and only after 1870 did people move here, mainly to escape from Turkish persecution.

This text is cited Feb 2003 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains images.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.