Tel: +30 22830 22256
The church of Megalocharis is known throughout the world as an orthodox shrine. It was built on the site where the icon of the Panagia was discovered in January 1823 . The icon dates from the first Christian era. The church was designed by the architect Evstratios of Smyrni and its construction was financed by the donations of the common people. It is among the first valuable architectural monuments of the independent Greek nation, built as it was during the period of the Greek revolution, in order to house the miracle-working icon. It certainly counts as an architectural masterpiece. It was built on the site of the Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis. Material for its construction was taken from the ancient temple of Dionysios that once occupied this site.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!