Listed 1 sub titles with search on: Main pages for wider area of: "GOUVES Village HERAKLIO" .
MONI AGIOU IOANOU TOU THEOLOGOU (Monastery) GOUVES
Tel: +30 2810 781349
The monastery is located in a small distance south east of Anopolis in a tree covered valley. It was first a part of the Saint George monastery located by the mouth of Aposelemis river a few kilometers to the north, but around 15th - 16th century the monks due to the raids of the pirates moved from Saint George’s monastery to the monastery of Saint John taking with them the icon of the Saint which exists until today.
During the Turkish occupation a "secret school" has been operating at the monastery which was also a base of the rebellions against the invaders.
The monks of the monastery and the people of Anopolis paid for their activities when in July 1896 the Turks slaughtered them and ruined the monastery. A cross stands at the top of the overlooking hill to remind this massacre.
The monastery was refounded by Kalinikos Daskalakis (1904 - 1936).
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!