is located in a small distance south east of Anopolis
in a tree covered valley. It was first a part of the Saint George monastery located
by the mouth of Aposelemis river a few kilometers to the north, but around 15th
- 16th century the monks due to the raids of the pirates moved from Saint George’s
monastery to the monastery of Saint John taking with them the icon of the Saint
which exists until today.
During the Turkish occupation a "secret school" has been operating
at the monastery which was also a base of the rebellions against the invaders.
The monks of the monastery and the people of Anopolis
paid for their activities when in July 1896 the Turks slaughtered them and ruined
the monastery. A cross stands at the top of the overlooking hill to remind this
The monastery was refounded by Kalinikos Daskalakis (1904 - 1936).