The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes
is housed in the medieval Hospital of the Knights Hospitaller Order of Saint John (1309-1522). Its construction began in 1440 by the
Grand Master de Lastic and was completed in 1489 by the Grand Master d' Aubusson.
The Museum hosts the following collections:
Burial finds (vases
, figurines, jewellery,
) from the cemeteries of
Geometric to Classical periods (9th - 4th centuries BC).
A collection of Classical, Hellenistic and Roman sculpture.
of the Hellenistic and Early Christian period.
Funerary slabs from the Knights' period (1309-1522).
The most important exhibits of the Museum are:
Pyxis of the Fikellura type
one of the most distinct groups of the archaic eastern Greek and Ionian ware.
Two archaic kouroi from Kamiros (550-530 BC).
Kylix of the Vroulia type
(6th c. BC).
Another distinct group of pottery named after the ancient settlement of Vroulia on Rhodes, where this ware was firstly found.
, depicting battle between two heroes (6th c. BC).
Grave stele of Krito and Timarista
with two standing female figures (420-410 BC).
Grave stele of Kalliarista. It depicts the dead Kalliarista, seated, while her servant, standing, holds a pyxis with her cosmetics.
The stele has a pedimental capping resting on pilasters (ca. 350 BC).
Marble head of Helios
(second half of the 2nd century BC).
Marble statuette of the "Aphrodite Bathing"
(2nd - 1st century BC).