Vamos (aerial photograph),
the capital of Apokoronos district and previously of the Sfakia prefecture-today
capital of the new municipality- is an exceptionally interesting
village that the Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works
has classed as traditional.
It is more like a small town, very well preserved, with folk and neoclassical
architectural elements (cultural centre).
The initiative of a group of inhabitants to create an association
for the preservation of the village as well as alternative tourism strategies
is already paying off while constituting a model for further local progress. Their
organisation successfully manages to make all visitors friends of Vamos. They
enchant visitors with the beauty of their village (lane),
lying green (Vamos grove) and
peaceful at the foot of Madares, with their warm hospitality, traditional
cafes - kafeneion - , beautiful old buildings behind each of which lies a
story, and their wonderful steep lanes.
The famous art and cultural festivals are good opportunities for everyone
to experience the hospitality and entertainment Vamos can offer. Interesting buildings
in the village are the Agios Nikolaos and Agios Georgios churches, the restored
old school (built in 1863) with the old girl's school in its yard, which is now
used as a guesthouse.
Vamos was the site of many battles in 1866 and 1896. The 1896 events
attracted foreign interest and were the cause of the General Cretan Revolutionary
Meeting (with Roussos Koundouros presiding) in Vamos with the aim of the independence
of Crete (memorial).
It is worthwhile visiting Vamos. It is worth becoming one of the "initiated"
friends of Vamos.
In the district of Vamos, in the venetian village of Karidi Kartsomado
one can see the ruins of the small single-roomed monastery of Panagia
at Katomeri, complete with frescoes dating from the 13th century.
Opposite the aforementioned village lies another venetian village,
Karidi of Agios Georgios, with its venetian villa and other buildings including
the large monastery of Agios Georgios,
which is still active and constitutes the most interesting architectural element
in the prefecture of Hania. Buildings such as the large olive oil press can be
restored and become a living agricultural museum or cater for a wide variety of