01 Jun - 31 Oct: Tue-Sun, 09:00-16:00
01 Nov - 31 May: Tue-Sun, 08:30-15:00
The Archaeological Museum of Karystos is housed in the west wing of the
Giokaleion Cultural Foundation,
a bequest of the benefactor Nikolaos Giokalas. It was built in 1959 at the Maximilianos Square
in Karystos and includes the Archaeological Museum (since 1988), the municipal theatre and
library. The west wing of the building was given to the Ministry of Culture in 1980, as stated in
N. Giokalas' will, in order to house the museum. The 11th Ephorate of Antiquities undertook
the task of the preparation of the exhibition, which was opened to the public in 1989.
The collections include:
Sculptures, inscriptions and clay statuettes from the area of Karystos (Classical, Hellenistic, and Roman times)
Finds from the "Dragon Houses" of Oche and Styra)
The most important items of the exhibition are:
Incised stone plaque from the Dragon House at Metsigi, Styra. The inscription is written in the Chalkidian alphabet and dates to the 6th century BC.
One-handled black glazed cups from the Dragon House at Oche. They were found upside down, in a row, in a stratum deeper than the floor of the House.
Dated to the 6th century BC or to the late Hellenistic up to Roman times (3rd-2nd century BC).
Marble rectangular base of a funerary statue, decorated with relief scenes. On the main narrow side there is a banquet scene, with a seated woman and
a standing, mature, bearded man. On one of the wide sides is the representation of three naked athletes, while on the other is a hunting scene with four
men and a dog. It was found at the harbour of Karystos, near Bourtzi, and dates to the 4th century BC.
Inscription on karystian marble from Palaeochora. It is an account of the public debts of the demos of Karystos (funds and interests). The text records the
owed interests which were given, when Archestratos was the archon, to creditors from Thebes
and Histiaea by the six treasurers (appointed for six months) of the demos of Karystos. Dated to ca. 370 BC.
Inscribed limestone stele with honorary decrees for the karystian judge Charianthos and his secretary, who had gone to
Kimolos and judged in an excellent manner the legal conflicts of the inhabitants, in the years of
Antigonos II Gonatas or Antigonos III Doson. The stele was erected in the temple of Poseidon Geraesteios and a copy was erected in the temple of Athena
on Kimolos. It was found at Geraestos (Kastri) and dates to 250-225 BC.
Pedimental funerary stele of limestone. The pediment is decorated with relief palmette, spirals, akanthus leaves, lotus flowers, and half-palmettes on both sides.
Under the cymation there is a pair of relief rosettes of concentric circles. The inscription reads: "Theocles son of Ktesion". It was found at Aghios
Ioannes Prodromos, in the area of Myloi, Karystos. Dated to the Hellenistic period (3rd-2nd century BC).
Marble inscribed rectangular base of a statue. On the upper surface there is a shallow cavity and a hole for the plinth of the statue. The votive inscription reads:
Phrynis, daughter of Praxagoras, wife of Eurytides, priestess of Artemis and Apollo, dedicated the statue of Artemis.
Art & culture
Periods of the exhibits
Bronze Age, 3200-1050 BC
Ancient historical times, 1050 BC- AD 324
Neolithic period, 6500-3200 BC
Fixed hours: Admission fee
Statuettes - Figurines
Executives & Departments
Archaeological service:, Tel.: 22210 76131, 22210 25131, Fax: 22210 76131, 22210 25131, Email: Requires Login as Tourism Professional 11th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities, 13 El. Venizelou St., 341 00 Chalkida