with a narthex. Its architectural type presents many archaic features.
The holy bema was decorated with mosaics of which is preserved only a representation
of Apostle Andrew (now in the Archaeological Museum of Serres).
The church is dated to the 11th century and was probably built at
the site of an Early Christian basilica. Additions were made in the 12th and 13th
It was renovated several times: in 1430 by metropolitan Philip, in
1602 by metropolitan Theophanes, in 1700 by metropolitan Anthimos, in 1725 by
metropolitan Stephen, in 1735 by metropolitan Gabriel, in 1751 by metropolitan
Ioannikios, in 1835 and 1842. It was destroyed by fire twice, in 1849 and in 1913.
Today the church functions again.