Holy church of Porta Panagia,
was the church of the Monastery of "Great Entrances"
(Megalon Pylon). It lies on the bank of the river "Portaikos" in the north of
"Pylis" Municipality in the community "Porta".
In the Porta-Panagia both centre bay and cross arms are pulled together
by one single transverse barrel vault, high up. The church was built by sebastokrator
John - Angel Duke Komnenos in 1283. The exonarthex belongs to the type of domed
octagon, the iconostasis is decorated with mosaic icons of Christ and Virgin placed
in an inverse position (1283 - 1289). The remained frescoes both in the nave and
the narthex date to 18th century.
Restoration works have been done in the church. While works of fixing
and restoration were taking place in the monastery, excavations on the floor of
the church brought to surface the first floor and plenty architectural parts of
the ancient temple in second use.
Nowadays it is used both as a church and archaeological site to be