stands on the top of a fortified hill at the northwest end of the city.
It was dedicated to Zeus Stratios and was hexastyle, built in the Doric order,
with Corinthian columns in the cella. Except for this combination of architectural
orders, the monument presents several more structural and planning innovations.
The construction of the temple began in 321 B.C. but it was never
finished, probably due to fights against the Aetolians.
It was studied by P. Heuzey in the middle of the previous century
and by An. Orlandos at the beginning of our century. It was excavated and published
(1924) by the French School of Archaeology. The temple is located in the archaeological
site of Stratos, the capital of the Acarnanians, where excavations are still in