The ancient acropolis is situated on a hill, on the southern side
of the Porto-Cheli bay. Its northern section is submerged. Its walls (186m long
and 2,50m wide), reinforced with square and sircular towers, had poros foundations,
and a superstructure of bricks and tiles over conglomerate. The cult centre (deposits
of the 6th and 5th centuries B.C., altar of the 4th century B.C.), houses and
workshops have been revealed in the precinct of the acropolis.
During the second quarter of the 5th century B.C., Tirynthians enlarged
and organized a settlement which existed on that site since the Neolithic period.
The city was abandoned at the end of the 4th or the beginning of the 3rd century
B.C. During Roman times baths and part of what could be a villa were built near
the circular tower at the NE edge of the acropolis.
A cemetery outside the walls of the acropolis was excavated by the
Greek Archaeological Service in 1958. During the 1960' s and the 1970' s, an excavation
was undertaken by the American School of Classical Studies under the supervision
of the 4th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities in Nauplion.